In Honor Of College Fashion Week, Let’s Talk About A Few Iconic Figures

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

In honor of college fashion week, we thought it would be a cool idea to gather a list of icons who have inspired fashion and trends over the years. Keep scrolling to find out some of the most prominent figures out of plenty more! 

Audrey Hepburn 

Known for the chic fashion style, Hepburn made the International Best Dressed List in 1961. I’m pretty sure that she had perfected the bun hairdo, and she looked gorgeous in anything she wore. Her ballet slippers and cropped pants were the biggest changes in the fashion world. 

Cindy Crawford 

Who isn’t aware of this supermodel? Her daughter Kaia Gerber has just started off her modeling career, but Cindy was the real deal. I read in an article that Michael Kors had mentioned that “Cindy changed up the perception of the ‘sexy American girl’ from classic blue-eyed blonde to a more sultry brunette with brains, charm and professionalism to spare.” We don’t doubt that! She definitely made herself a figure to remember in the fashion industry! 

Cara Delevingne 

Girl crush alert. Cara had to be put on this list because to me she is a total badass woman. Not only has she dominated the fashion industry today, but she’s known to be a funny, loving and just basically and awesome person. She can go from being the party princess with a beautiful ball gown to rocking a leather jacket with her head shaved. With her famous eyebrows, the British model seems to keep herself grounded and manages to carry everything with a full blown positive attitude.   

Lady Gaga 

You may think that this is a strange addition to the list, but come on. Who didn’t think Lady Gaga was super weird at one point of her musical career. Yet, she’s become pretty famous for it, and her outfits aren’t something we’d wear to class. However it still managed to become noticeable. In a way, I think she’s very brave to wear whatever her heart desires, again showing nothing but confidence, to the world. She’s also partnered up with huge brands, like Giorgio Armani, while on tour. 

Madonna 

Madonna has been known as a fashion leader since her days as a famous pop culture icon. Her music videos consisted of outfits that had been inspired by Marilyn Monroe and other well-known brands. But Madonna has been known for her unique style, as she was continuously changing it up, supporting well-known as well as less-known brands.  

Michelle Obama 

Michelle Obama made her fashion statements by wearing beautiful sleeveless gowns to casual outfits from affordable brands. She wasn’t afraid to wear what she wanted during official events and even outside of her job, which is why so many young fashionistas look up to her even today. 

Princess Diana 

From elegance and grace, this woman knew how to travel in style. Her style consisted more of a modern approach, and she looked absolutely beautiful in anything she wore because she carried it well with confidence. No doubt that she had inspired plenty of young girls at her prime time as part of the Royal Family.

Kate Middleton

One word, flawless. Is there anything this woman can’t pull off? In some way, she definitely is a reflection of Princess Diana, but the Duchess of Cambridge makes her own style and manages to make even the most casual outfits look glamorous. Her sense of clothing is right on point and she is overall nothing but elegant.  

Gigi Hadid

With her mum being a model, what was stopping Gigi from dominating the world of fashion? Not only has she walked the Victoria’s Secret show multiple times, but she’s also partnered with huge brands, one of them being Tommy Hilfiger. She has her own clothing selection called “TOMMYXGIGI,” and let’s just say the collection is very cute!

This isn’t even a complete list! There are so many figures constantly making new trends and inventing fashionable looks for the rest of the world to follow. Who are your favorite fashionistas? 

Cover: Kris Atomic

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Ridhima Jagtap is a college newbie, a.k.a a freshman, working towards a degree in the field of journalism. You'll often find her chasing after cats and watching adorable cat videos on YouTube. If she's not doing this then she'll be singing her lungs out so that her whole floor can hear her. She hopes to blow people away with writing what she's passionate about. Books, music and a lot of animals!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.