Hawks Helping Hawks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

The moment you step onto this campus as a new student, you go through a program called “OnIowa,” where you learn the history, traditions and resources that your new home has to offer. Sometimes we overlook these things, but it’s a problem on all college campuses that no one wants to speak about.

Once you come here you also learn the realities of life, such as the existence of sexual assault. Through OnIowa, you learn that sexual assault is preventable, and you shouldn’t be a silent bystander. If you see that someone is in danger, do something. I have always thought that there are two types of bad people in the world: the ones that do bad things and the ones who see bad things being done and don’t saying anything.

The RVAP, Rape Victim Advocacy Program, has implemented many bystander intervention programs, such as “Hawks Helping Hawks” and “Stand Up, Don’t Standby” to have students acknowledge when someone is in danger and the steps to take. It’s not only sexual violence but also a person’s safety and well-being to be on the lookout for. If you see someone intoxicated and passed out in an alley, make sure they’re okay and call for help.

There have been multiple studies that show sexual violence to be an under-reported crime. Everyone here should feel safe. So speak up and stand up, and maybe we could fix this statistic. People should feel safe to speak about it and comfortable reporting it. It’s also our school’s job to carry the right actions in punishment when these claims come and to not ignore them, especially if they want this to be a safe environment for students.

If you have experienced an unwanted sexual activity, contact RVAP (Rape Victim Advocacy Program) for free and confidential support on RVAP.uiowa.edu or call their 24-hour hotline 319-335-6000. It is not your fault, and people are there for you to support you and get you through this moment.

So don’t stand by, Iowa. Speak up and stand up. If you see someone pushing himself or herself on somebody, and the feelings are not reciprocated, say something. If you see someone who is unresponsive at a party, see if they’re okay. These things are preventable, but you also need to do your part because it not only affects them, but it also affects you. Remember what I said, there are two types of bad people. The bad people that do bad things and the bad people who see bad things happening but keep silent. Help your fellow Hawks. 

Amy is currently a senior at the University of Iowa majoring in Journalism and Mass Communication, minor in political science with certificates in Event Planning and Entrepreneurial Management and HC UIowa's Trouble Maker. Her dream job is to work in Public Relations or Event Planning and plans to also become a lawyer, like the 9 years old Amy planned. Whenever she's not writing articles, she's usually online shopping, binging on Netflix, or laughing at her own jokes. Midwestern Prep with the worst luck in the world, you can keep track of her worst case scenarios on Twitter.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.