Have a Great Spring Break Without Leaving Home

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

After weeks of stress, tests, and panicking about school it’s finally here: spring break has come to save us all. Score! Of course, some of us have also spent the past few weeks hearing all our friends talk about their amazing plans when we’re stuck in Iowa City or at home for break. Bummer. Sure, there is still some snow on the ground and the weather still isn’t as warm as we’d all like, but that doesn’t mean you can’t have a fun, relaxing break. So what if you’re not jet-setting to Mexico or even riding in the back of a car with five other girls en route to Miami? You can have fun without all of that.

Bring the Outdoors In

You can enjoy outdoor activities even if it is only 37 degrees out. Find out if there is an indoor rock climbing wall near you. It is a great workout and you will be having too much fun to care how badly your forearms burn. Similarly, if you are at home check at the local YMCA to see if they will give you a week’s pass for free. This way you can swim, run, and play basketball, even if the weatherman is forecasting snow. Another great way to feel like it is spring is to visit a botanical garden. The indoor plants are just as gorgeous as they would be outdoors, and you can find more exotic flowers than you would usually see in Iowa.

Throw a Pity Party

Instead of sitting around, watching shows on TLC and thinking about how boring break is, invite all your friends who are in town over for a (not so pitiful) party. Pot luck parties are great because it means less stress for you as the host, and more variety in food. Ask your friends to dress up and to each bring a dish. Wear that dress you’ve been dying to show off but haven’t been able to due to the continual snow. You can come up with a theme — have everyone bring a different appetizer, matching wine, or different types of pasta. The possibilities are endless.

Be a Tourist in Your Own State

Even if you are constantly complaining about how boring your home state is, there has to be something fun for you to do over break. If you live in Iowa, think about taking a one or two day trip to Des Moines to visit the state capitol, cool shops in the East Village, and bars on Court Ave. Don’t want to stray so far from Iowa City? If you’re a cheese enthusiast (and who isn’t, besides people who are lactose intolerant?), Kalona Cheese House was recently featured in Food Network Magazine as the best place to buy cheese curds in the Midwest. You can also check out Midwest Living’s website for ideas specific to your state.

*Photos from Wikimedia Commons and Flickr Creative Commons

My name is Kathleen McGowan. I am a junior at the University of Iowa double majoring in English and Journalism. My dream is to publish a collection of nonfiction essays or short stories. I enjoy writing, reading, cooking, and keeping up with TV and entertainment news. Feel free to follow me on twitter: @mcgowankj