Hair Teasing 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

I bet the women of the 80’s never thought they would see the day that hair teasing would come back in style.

We’ve all seen the ridiculous pictures of our moms and aunts from back in their glory days. Their bangs were curled and their hair was sky-high. Luckily, the trend has transformed itself into a new era where hair volume is more of an accent and less of a showcase. The more natural looking poof, the better (did you catch that, Snooki?)

Although the trend has been going strong for the last couple years, many ladies still have not mastered the art of teasing. I am here to change that. Whether you have a hot date with a boy or a hot date with the bar, a well-sculpted poof always looks good no matter where you are going.

Getting Started
Let’s start with what you DON’T need: a Bump-It. If you do own a Bump-It, please promptly throw it out the window, but don’t let it land in the street because those evil little spikes on that torture device are sure to pop some tires of innocent cars passing by. You can also hide it in a place where no one will find it like they did in The Mask, a treasure chest at the bottom of a lake…oh wait. Actually, maybe you should just burn it to be safe.

What you DO need: a 3 Row Styling Comb, they are less then $2 at Sally Beauty and worth every cent! You will also need some non-sticky hairspray. No need to spend your money on some ridiculously priced “designer” hairspray. I will be eternally loyal to TRESemmé TRES Two™ Spray, level 4 or 5, it is hands down the best!

Step One:

• Part your hair where you want
  • Identify where your hairline begins on your forehead and locate the spot that is approximately two and a half inches towards the back of your head, this is where you will begin your tease

Step Two:

• Using your fingers as a guide, pull a quarter of an inch thick, horizontal section of your hair into the air.
  • Apply hairspray

Step Three:

• With that same section of hair, place your 3 Row comb about two inches up the shaft of your hair from the scalp
  • Pull the comb straight down to your scalp
  • Pull back your comb out of your hair
  • Repeat this step about five times
  • Apply hairspray

Step Four:

• Pull up a second horizontal section of your hair, of a similar thickness, that is directly underneath the one you just teased
  • Repeat step three to this section

Step Five:

• Pull up a third layer of hair from underneath your second layer
  • Repeat step three
  • If desired, you can repeat steps one through four to the sections of your hair that are to the left and right of your hair part.

Right about now you are probably looking like a cave woman, but have no fear, now we tame the lion’s mane…

Step Six:

• Using your comb, comb down all teased sections of hair until you achieve the desired volume
  • Be sure that the top of your hair is smooth and there are no visible lumps
  • Apply one final, thin layer of hairspray

There you have it, now you can curl your hair, put it in a ponytail, whatever! The possibilities are endless!

*Caution: if you become too good at teasing hair, all of your friends and roommates will want you to tease their hair before going out too, which can be very time consuming!

__________________________
Sources

Cheryl Cole Big Hair 

Emily is a junior at the University of Iowa and is studying Journalism and Pre-Law with a minor in Health Communication. She has been a part of the Her Campus University of Iowa team since it was founded in 2010 and is a member of Ed on Campus. She has grown to love magazine writing and editing and if she somehow can't land her dream job (to be Carrie Bradshaw), she wouldn't mind settling for a job in the magazine industry. If nothing else, she hopes to attend law school somewhere in the Bay Area out West, her favorite place to be. Since the age of 15, Emily spent her summers in California, doing internships and falling in love with San Francisco. Some of her other interests include her 4-month-old longhaired wiener dog Henry, blogging, celebrity gossip, sushi, Private Practice, fro-yo, being a journalism nerd, and anything involving good conversation with good people. Although she's not exactly sure of her plans for the future, she knows journalism will somehow be the driving force in her career.