Feuding on Twitter: Professional or Not?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Is voicing your opinions over social media sites really worth it? After a recent dispute between, E!’s Keeping up With the Kardashian’s Kourtney Kardashian and MTV’s Teen Mom Farrah Abraham, celebrity feuds have been thrown in the spotlight.  They are not the first of celebrities to argue over Twitter and will definitely not be the last.

Living in America, we are graced with our First Amendment privileges and rights, but when does the line become unprofessional?  Many celebrities have started using social media sites as their way of expression to fans and other public figures.  

Twitter may be a way for you to find out about your favorite celebrity, but it is also a way for employers to track your activities. 

Here are four ways to keep your Twitter appropriate for the public.

1. Make your picture professional.  Leave the alcohol out and make your picture “G” rated.  Avoid the party pictures to keep your page looking professional. 

2. Cut the $#!%  The most unattractive thing to a company is using profanity.   Just because the old lady cut you in the grocery line, don’t express it on your social media site.  Find other ways to express your anger.

Example of a good tweet: People just need to learn to wait in line #groceryshopping
Example of a bad tweet: F$*@& this lady in front of me.  Just because she’s old doesn’t mean she can cut the
                                             line. #angryshopper

3. Keep it private.  You don’t have to let the world read what you write.  By blocking your Twitter you can accept your followers and choose your audience.   Not everything you do has to be public, so if you really feel you can’t be appropriate make yourself private to the Twitterverse. 

4. Re-tweet trending topics and events.  By re-tweeting and staying on top of your current events game, it keeps you informed.  You are entitled to your own opinion on those topics, just don’t degrade others opinions if they differ from yours.  Send them a direct message or email, making the message more private.

Follow these tips and you’ll be on top of the Twitterverse.  #twitterpro

Twitter Catfight 101

Deanna is a junior journalism and studio arts major at the University of Iowa. Born in Spring Grove, IL, Deanna has been involved in journalism ever since her high school yearbook editing days. Since coming to Iowa in 2008, Deanna has joined Dance Marathon and Ed on Campus. In 2010, Deanna joined the Her Campus team as a writer and in October became a Branch Manager. When Deanna is not writing you can find her hanging out with her friends, taking pictures, reading novels, playing intramural sports and cheering on the Hawkeyes. Deanna hopes to become a magazine reporter or editor in Chicago or New York City in the future.