Facebook Pages for Cats & Dogs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

These days it seems like everybody and their mother is on Facebook – literally.
            My mom got a Facebook when I left for college about 3 years ago. It was a way for her to see what I was doing, see my pictures of college (well, the ones I allowed her to see anyways, thank you privacy settings!), and it was a perfect way for her to catch up with people she lost touch from in high school and college years. Her Facebook is also a great way for her to keep in touch with her family that happens to be sprinkled all on the west coast – we see them about every 2-5 years so it’s great for them!
My 76-year-old grandmother just got a Facebook too. Granted she has only been on it twice (it confuses her still), but she stays in contact with her nieces and nephews a few states over and a few of her kids are on Facebook too (the grandchildren have avoided friend requesting her).  
            While it’s all fine and dandy that parents and grandparents have Facebooks, even though I know a lot of people have issues with their parents being on Facebook, I don’t mind really. What I do mind, are the kids and the pets with their own pages.
            Yes, pets…as in cats and dogs or whatever else you may have as a pet. I have seen a bunch of pets with Facebook pages. Um, interesting? Some status updates are for cats, “Got into some cat nip today!” or the dogs, “Chased my tail like a mad man today.” Yeah that’s cute, but it’s not really them. A lot of times people will tag pictures of the animal, upload videos of them playing or whatever. Kind of cute..?
            But what I find more absurd are that kids are having Facebook pages; not just kids but toddlers! You think I am kidding? Last week I had a “Friend you may know” on my side and the name seemed oddly familiar and we had 5 friends in common, I clicked on it the picture made it all clear to me: it was the 2-year-old I know.

I feel like people have pages to share that information on their own page. I have plenty of friends who upload many pictures of their kids) and pets for those who aren’t ready for kids yet). Which is perfectly fine, and that is what Facebook is meant for; but children having their own pages? I just can’t imagine what they have to say? “Today I sucked on mom’s boob,” or “Today I discovered my big toe.”
            Maybe this is a new trend I am just not aware of? I thought Facebook had age limits on who can get a page. Please let me know (in the comments below) what you think: do you know of any kids/pets with pages and what do you think of it?

Nicole Lumbreras is a junior at University of Iowa, class of 2012, studying Journalism and Sociology. Born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago, Nicole loves to explore new restaurants, see live music and attend sporting events. Nicole loves to travel, dance, write in her blog and takes pleasure in the art of photography. Nicole loves to spend time with her friends and family, and when time allows she will get her fill of Bad Girls Club, Glee, So You Think You Can Dance, and Grey's Anatomy. Nicole recently got foot surgery and rediscovered running; her goal is to run a half marathon before she is 25. After college she plans to move into the city (Chicago) with a American bulldog, attend graduate school at night and hopefully write for Chicago Magazine or another fun and upcoming project.