Elizabeth Schlegel—Hancher Intern to Full Time Employee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

May is approaching and for most college seniors finding employment after graduation is a major concern.

Not for Elizabeth Schlegel.

Schlegel, a Communications Studies major, recently just scored a job at Orchestra Iowa, one of the oldest symphony orchestras in the West, working as a Development Associate. Finding employment can be a challenge, but Schlegel’s current internship at Hancher gave her some help.

“My marketing director at Hancher knows a lot of people in the art community and his contacts helped me score this job,” said Schlegel. “My internship at Hancher helped me 100 percent to get this job.”

Schlegel has been actively involved with Hancher for four years. Starting as an usher at shows her freshmen year she has worked her way up to promotions. Some duties she has to complete include working with media outlets, writing press releases, promoting Hancher shows via YouTube videos, and dealing with advertisers.

“I love the promotion aspect that Hancher allows me to experience,” said Schlegel. “I love getting people excited about things, getting people to come, and being at the events to see the results.”

Hancher has allowed her to look and stay focused towards the future since the beginning.

“Before my freshmen year I had no idea that jobs were available in arts organizations, Hancher has opened my eyes and has given me confidence that I can find a job in this certain field.”

Besides the many tasks that Schlegel has to complete, the shows have been a vocal point for her experience at Hancher.

“I loved working with Avenue Q,” said Schlegel. “I have worked there for four years and have seen a lot of small shows, but Avenue Q’s promotions were fun. I really like big productions, such as Broadway plays.”  

Using contacts and gaining experience has given Schlegel an opportunity after graduation, but the University of Iowa has given her so much more.

“I was worried coming to Iowa because I am from a small town and I didn’t want to be just a number,” said Schlegel, originally from Washington, IA. “Iowa has given me direction, focus, and I was able to stand out to become an individual.”

“Now I have to go make my mark somewhere else.”

Nicole Lumbreras is a junior at University of Iowa, class of 2012, studying Journalism and Sociology. Born and raised in the suburbs of Chicago, Nicole loves to explore new restaurants, see live music and attend sporting events. Nicole loves to travel, dance, write in her blog and takes pleasure in the art of photography. Nicole loves to spend time with her friends and family, and when time allows she will get her fill of Bad Girls Club, Glee, So You Think You Can Dance, and Grey's Anatomy. Nicole recently got foot surgery and rediscovered running; her goal is to run a half marathon before she is 25. After college she plans to move into the city (Chicago) with a American bulldog, attend graduate school at night and hopefully write for Chicago Magazine or another fun and upcoming project.