Election Update: One Month After The Iowa Caucus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Super Tuesday is quickly approaching, and candidates’ success in these primaries could dictate who the next repbulican and democratic presidential nominees are. On March 1, voters in 12 states and one U.S. Territory will vote for their desired candidate in primary and caucus events. 

This is where it starts getting confusing. Unless you’re already lost and are just wondering when Kanye is announcing his candidacy, that’s okay, too. At this stage in the election, candidates begin dropping out, canvasing selectively, and taking cheap shots at each other. Insert Hillary Clinton’s email address here.  

So the real question is, what have the candidates been up to since the Iowa Caucus that took place on Febrauary 1?

The Democratic party lost candidate Martin O’Malley immediately following the Iowa caucus. An aide to the Mayor of Baltimore confirmed O’Malley’s decision just hours after precincts reported their votes. The day before the caucus, O’malley announced that he was in over $500,000 debt due to a loan he had taken out to finance his campaign. After consistent pre-caucus Twitter activity, O’Malley’s account has not posted anything new since February 1.

Bernie Sanders on the other hand, is gaining solid momentum in young voters nation wide, winning over 80% of millennial voters in Iowa and New Hampshire. Sanders young popularity is coming from his call for revolutionary changes like free college and nearly free prescription drugs in the United States. His crusade against Super Pacs and big money has everyone with no money slapping on Sanders stickers and tweeting “#feelthebern.” Even celebrities like Spike Lee and Josh Hutcherson have endorsed Sanders, even jumping on his campaign trail. 

On Twitter, Sanders and his staff post simple, yet emotion inducing tweets that serve as a call-to-arms for young voters to seek major change in the world. 

After suffering a loss to Sanders in New Hampshire and only barely winning Iowa, Hillary Clinton is struggling to keep up against the idealism of the classic American Dream that Sanders is promising young people. But that hasn’t stopped Clinton from staying ahead of Sanders in the polls. Instead of appealing to the sense of revolution that Sanders has chosen, Clinton is supporting smaller, more realistic changes backed by real financial information. Generations ahead of the millennials see the merit in this. 

Clinton overcame the Sanders hurdle in South Carolina on Saturday, claiming almost 3/4 of the voters. Voting turnout among black voters was high this year in SC, with Clinton gaining their support in a ratio of 5-1 over Sanders. Many of these same voters had supported President Obama back in 2008.

Clinton’s campaign thanked her supporters via Twitter a little over after an hour after the primary began. 

And then there are the Repulican candidates. Governor of Florida Jeb Bush dropped out of the race following his devasting defeat in South Carolina on February 20. Everyone else, however, is still in the game.

Dr. Ben Carson is still hanging on by a thread, claiming only four total delegates. Governor of Ohio John Kasich isn’t doing much better with only six delegates. Republican golden boy and the youngest candidate, Florida Senator Marco Rubio is creeping up on Ted Cruz, tying the Senator of Texas during the Nevada primary. And then there is Donald Trump, who has surpisingly gathered the majority of Republican support with 81 total delegates, far surpassing the other candidates. 

Trump, who is hoping to #makeamericagreatagain, has chosen a radical approach, offering ideas like building a wall around the country to keep refugees out. With the most followers of all candidates on Twitter, Trump has utilized the platform to express his own anger and frustration with candidates, policies and, well, just about everything else. 

At least he is speaking his uncensored mind. 

Super Tuesday will prove interesting for all candidates involved. Who will leave? Who will stay? And what will Donald Trump tweet next. 

For live election results and campaign updates, visit the New York Times’ Election 2016 page.

University of Iowa sophomore majoring in Journalism and Engaged Social Innovation. Member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority. Hospitality newbie. Reader, writer, and wanderluster. At least that's what I want my business card to say.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.