Diaries Abroad: Prague

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

The city of Prague and the experiences that have come with it so far have been so incredible that putting it into words is going to be pretty difficult but I’ll give it a shot.

The first thing that blew me away was the architecture. Every single building is absolutely gorgeous! I’m pretty sure that even their waste management headquarters resides in a beautiful medieval building with hand carved angels on the front and flower boxes.

The study center is located in the region Vyšehrad in Prague. Vyšehrad is on a hill above the Vltava River and home to an old fort dating back to the 10th Century. When I say fort, I mean a huge majestic castle with a basilica that is surrounded by ginormous stone walls. Every day on my way to class I pass Prague’s oldest building, the Rotunda of St. Martin from the 11th century.

When I first arrived in Prague, (June 2nd) the city was experiencing some major flooding in which a good portion of the city was under water. It down poured for the first 3 or 4 days I was here, which was kind of a bummer and made figuring out how to navigate around the city a little more difficult. Also, it was said to be the coldest Prague had ever been in the month of June in 260 years. So I guess we can all agree that floods and bad weather follow me, my apologies, Iowa City!

The weather has started to cooperate though, and I was able to do a ton of cool things like paint on the Lennon Wall, see the Prague castle, Charles Bridge, as well as, spend some quality time at the many beer gardens sipping amazing Czech beer.

These three and a half weeks have flown by just like I knew they would and soon I’ll be headed to Barcelona for another three and a half weeks. Stay tuned!

Gabby is a junior at the University of Iowa, working towards her double major in Communication Studies and Anthropology with a minor is Psychology. She is originally from LaSalle, Illinois and enjoys writing, traveling, and fashion.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.