COSTUME SERIES: Four Not-So-Basic Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

The leaves are changing, and the Pumpkin Spice Lattes have finally returned to the Starbucks menu. That means that Halloween is just around the corner. For this crucial holiday, we all start throwing our greatest costume ideas around, but always end up settling for the classic kitty or Risky Business costumes. While there is nothing wrong with settling for a “basic” costume, we’ve come up with an array of costumes to make you stand out from the crowd.

Celebrity Costumes

If you’re worried about a budget, you can always find something in your closet to show you’re up to date with Donald Trump, The Kardashians, Beyoncé and Nicki. Don’t be scared to go with the classics! 

Disney Characters

No matter what your age, going as a Disney character for Halloween is always cute and takes everyone on a trip down memory lane. Check Pintrest for DIY’s!

Duo Costumes

It’s so fun to see creative couple costumes. Obviously, you don’t have to be in a relationship to rock a couple costume. You can always go with your best friend (Hawks Help Hawks!).

“Punny” Costumes

You can never go wrong with a “punny” costume. They can be simple and practical for the weather, yet also clever and humorously creative. Let’s not forget they are also great conversation starters! 

Get it? Deviled eggs. 

Allison Bradley is a 19 year old Chicago native and full time University of Iowa student with a penchant for DIYs, fashion, and coffee.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.