Kellyn Simpkin-Two Girls Sitting
Kellyn Simpkin-Two Girls Sitting
Kellyn Simpkin / Her Campus
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Confrontation: Why It’s Important

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Have you ever been in a situation where someone does something that may or may not be intentional, but regardless, it bothers you or makes you feel small? Those moments are going to happen. They’re a part of life, but knowing how to properly handle them makes all the difference. 

two women sit on the beach, facing the ocean. the sun shines in between them.
Briana Tozour | Unsplash
We’re always taught that communication is one of the most important aspects of any relationship, so naturally, that includes letting someone know how you feel if they do or say something that makes you feel some type of way. Without confrontation, there is room left for ​selfishness and another’s ability to take advantage of your kindness. It is through communication that we are able to address the issues at hand with the person that may have caused them and work to better your relationship. 

Richard Jaimes K4Dt8X2
Richard Jaimes / Unsplash
Confrontation is also an important concept to understand because it is our individual responsibility to stand up for ourselves and put ourselves first at times when we are aware that it will better us and our lives, along with our mental (or potentially physical) health. Personally, I have previously had a history of hating confrontation and everything that comes along with it. I hate it when people are angry with me, even if the only reason is that I may have called them out for something they were doing to make me feel upset or disrespected. Despite the stigma attached to confrontation, it can actually be pretty civil. In knowing the person you are talking to, you can prepare how to bring up the bothering topic and how to address the situation altogether. Suggesting ways to improve the situation and working with the other person’s needs to do so can be extremely helpful in making them feel that you are not “attacking” or gaslighting them with pent up emotion. 

a man and a woman sit on a park bench looking frustrated
Vera Arsic | Pexels
Confrontation is never easy, but with self-confidence and knowledge, as well as the will to better your own circumstances, you will find ways to overcome your hesitations and take your communication skills to another level. 

Emily Perry

U Iowa '22

Emily Perry is a Sophomore at the University of Iowa majoring in Criminology, minoring in Political Science, and on the Pre-Law track. Besides writing for Her Campus, Emily is also a member of Phi Alpha Delta Pre-Law Fraternity. In her spare time, she loves aimlessly scrolling through Twitter and Pinterest, eating chicken nuggets, and sending her friends pictures of dogs. Her Instagram is @emilyylynn and her twitter is @emily_perry14