Campus Cutie: Sarabeth Weszely

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Cutie, Sarabeth Weszely! The University of Iowa freshman and blooming singer/songwriter from Oak Park, Illinois is adorable and crazy talented! She plays guitar and has performed at High Ground Café and Gabe’s in Iowa City! Sarabeth is also involved in the campus ministry; 24/7, bike club, the feminist union and she does undergraduate research.

What is your major?

Creative writing with a minor in cinema.

When did you start playing guitar and writing music?

I wrote my own lyrics to the tune of T-Swift or JoJo ever since I was little about crushes I had, but my mom taught me guitar at 12 and I started writing soon after!

Do you have any specific motivation for your music?

My motivation for making music slightly changed as I grew up. Generally, I believe humans were created to create, whether it’s through painting, or math or music, whatever. I also can understand others and myself more through songwriting, because it kind of taps into my subconscious.

When did you start performing?

The guy that lived across the street from me started having open mics at a café nearby, and I played at them. I met my best friend there sophomore year, and we started doing gigs together junior year.

Sarabeth (right) and her best friend Lena (left)

How would you describe your style of clothes?

I just wake up in the morning and think, “What do I feel and how could I emulate that in my outfit so I can feel it more?” I would describe my style as colorful and random. High school friends always described it as kind of a zen, homeless man look.

What is the most interesting storyline you’ve ever written for a song?

There’s this song called, “And Then I Found Drugs.” I wrote it from someone else’s point of view about drug use and how it changed that person. It was funny because I’ve had people ask if it was about me, which is hilarious if you know me well.

What makes your songwriting style unique?

Well, I would say that my songs aren’t just about one person. I write a lot about indefinite characters that embody more than one person, moment, or being. I also think every songwriter’s songs are unique to them because what you hold true always bleeds into your songs at least a little bit.

Who do you look up to as a songwriter?

I look up to writers of all kinds. James Baldwin, Carson McCullers, and a bunch of poets inspire me too. I also think Joni Mitchell is an amazing songwriter. No one will ever be able to write love songs like her, but the thing is I don’t just want to write songs about love. I like any writer who is free to be inspired by the smallest things.

Do you ever see yourself performing as a career?

No. It will always be a part of my life and a way to express myself, but unless I was able to write songs that could drastically change social order, I would feel almost unfulfilled. I want to write people’s stories in all forms for a nonprofit or freelance for different causes. 

If you could play any instrument other than guitar, what would it be?

Probably the harp, because it sounds so beautiful and heavenly, and I think it would be fun to mess around on it to create sounds that aren’t so classical and traditional. 

Listen to Sarabeth’s EP here

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.