Byron Fish – Current Hawkeye, Future World Leader

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

This week’s UI campus celebrity is Senior Byron Fish! Byron is an Iowa native, born and raised in Cedar Rapids. Growing up a huge Hawkeye fan with the perk of in-state tuition, he couldn’t see himself going to school anywhere else. His major is international relations with a focus on conflict and foreign policy. You can even catch him playing a computer game that simulates what real world leaders do and strategize about in his spare time. He says it would be a dream job to work for an embassy or be an ambassador for the United States.

Along with school, Byron also works two jobs here in Iowa City. His first job is at the University of Iowa’s Hospitals as a cashier and his second is at the recently opened Chop House restaurant in downtown IC. They’re time consuming and can be tiring at times, but in the end the reward is worth it. Even with a full schedule, Byron is able to balance it all and still find time for friends and having fun.

If he’s not working or at school you can find Byron cheering on the Hawkeyes and just about any other sports team with his friends. Watching and playing sports is definitely one of his favorite hobbies along with hanging out with his fraternity brothers. On top of everything else, Byron is also an active member of Delta Upsilon at the University of Iowa. He partakes in different events and philanthropies through his fraternity all while working two jobs and going to school.

Staying on top of his schedule and balancing everything out is key and when I talked to him it seemed he had everything under control.

“I work two jobs and go to school… And my grades are actually good!” Byron told me.

It looks like there’s nothing this Hawkeye can’t take on! When I asked Byron what the one thing he wanted people to take away from this article was he told me, “Tell them I’m cool…and funny…I’m cool and I’m funny.” – Byron Fish

Senior Journalism and Sports Studies major at the University of Iowa. It's great to be a Hawkeye!
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.