A Broke Girl’s Guide To Valentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Valentine’s Day is a special day that some people love, and others love to hate. One thing that everyone can agree on, however, is that Valentine’s Day can get expensive. As broke college students who just dropped hundreds of dollars on new textbooks for this semester, it can get a little tricky. Whether you need a new dress for a date or cute gifts for your girlfriends, here are some tips to help you save money this Valentine’s Day without sacrificing anything. 

What to Wear

In my opinion, one of the best things about Valentine’s Day is getting all dressed up to go out with my galentines or my valentine. I always want to get a new outfit for special occasions just because it makes it a little more fun, but it is hard to do that with such a tight budget. If you are looking for somewhere to get a killer outfit for Valentine’s Day, here are some place where you can go that won’t break the bank. 

Forever 21

Whether you need a nice dress for a date or a cute outfit to celebrate with your girls, Forever 21 is the place to go. The selection is incredible, so there is definitely something for everyone no matter your style. You can get really cute dresses for around twenty dollars or even cheaper. 

Adore Me

This is an online lingerie shop that has a huge selection. You can order at anytime, or you can subscribe to become a VIP member. The first time you order as a member, a set is only $24.95, and you can cancel your membership at anytime. Pro tip: take advantage of the reduced member prices and then cancel your membership after your first set. This will save a lot of money, and you will have exactly what you want for V-day. 

Gifts for Your Galentines

Whether or not you have a date this Valentine’s Day, it is always important to remember your girls. Celebrate your love and appreciation for your best girlfriends by getting them cute little gifts. Here are some pleaces you can go to to get the best gifts for the best people in your life. 

Francescas

This is one of my all time favorite stores because it feels like a cute boutique and has a ton of cute gifts for everyone. This is my go-to when I want to get gifts for my best friends, and Valentine’s day is no exception. You can find meaningful gifts at affordable prices if you look hard enough. Plus, you’re sure to find yourself something that you love in the process.

Target

Another one of my favorite places of all time is the Target Dollar Section. They always have cute Valentine’s Day-themed items that everyone will love, and everything is only $1, $3 or $5. 

Gifts for Your Special Someone

The cheapest option is also the most sentimental option. In this case, the most sentimental option is to break out your crafting supplies and make somethng. This will cost little to no money, depending on if you have the supplies or not. Here are some examples of things that you can make.

“52 Reasons Why I Love You” Cards

For this all you need is a deck of cards, and you just write one reason why you love your SO on each of the cards. You can even get creative and personalize the cards by decorating them. 

“Open When…” Letters

This is perfect if you are long distance or don’t get to see your SO on a daily basis. All you have to do is write cute letters for different situations such as “Open when you miss me,” or “Open when you’re having a bad day.” It would be a really thoughtful gift that could keep on giving. 

Coupon book

With this gift idea, you can really tailor it to your relationship. You can make the coupons funny, romanic, sweet or a combination of all three. 

Just remember, when getting gifts for the amazing people in your life, it’s all about the meaning and not about the price tag! I hope these tips are helpful when preparing for Valentine’s day. Everyone will thank you, including your wallet. 

First year Psychology student at The University of Iowa. Made of big dreams and a lot of coffee.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.