The Best Electives to Take for Fall 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

All of us, from business to English majors, get sick of our selected paths of studies sometimes. I mean, how many classes on British literature can one person take? That’s why electives are so great — they give you a break from your normal courses and let you explore areas you’re interested in without much of a commitment. One class on astronomy will not make or break your GPA, but it might show you that you have a passion for science (or that you despise learning about stars and the galaxy). Here are some ideas for electives that will help round out your schedule.

Course Name: Pilates (28S:043)
Gen Ed fulfillment?: None
Number of Hours: 1
Description: It can be hard to make time for workouts between studying, hanging out with friends and extracurricular activities. Being graded for your workouts can help keep you motivated. Even though it may seem a little intimidating, if you can convince a friend to take the class with you, it will be a great way to add an extra study hour to your semester. And it only runs for half the semester! What could be better?

Course Name: Elements of Art (01B:001)
Gen Ed fulfillment?: Literary, Visual and Performing Arts or Fine Arts.
Number of Hours: 3
Description: Do you miss having art once a week in elementary school and getting to express your creativity? If so, this class is a great choice. You’ll learn basic principles of art and how to draw the human figure, still lives, and landscapes. It is restricted to nonmajors, which means you don’t have to worry about your lack of skill.

Course Name: Introduction to American Foreign Policy (030:061)
Gen Ed fulfillment?: International and Global Issues or Social Sciences
Number of Hours: 3
Description: It can be hard to keep up with politics or to understand the U.S.’s relationship with other countries. The subject seems daunting and confusing, but everyone of voting age should try to educate themselves about the important issues facing our country. This course is a great way to learn more about how America interacts with the rest of the world, and learning about foreign policy is something that will come in handy for years to come, from dinner party conversation to voting.

Course Name: Stars Galaxies and the Universe (029:050)
Gen Ed fulfillment?: Natural Sciences With or Without Lab
Number of Hours: 3 without lab, 4 with lab
Description: Science doesn’t come easily for a lot of people (myself included). That’s why it is important to pick an interesting class to fulfill your science requirements. Chances are if you even care a little bit about the subject, you’ll be more likely to do the readings and pay attention in class. This class will teach you about the life cycles of stars and the history, structure, and fate of the universe. Intense stuff.

Course Name: Media History and Culture
Gen Ed fulfillment?: Historical Perspectives
Number of Hours: 3
Description: Media History and culture “surveys the historical and cultural development of journalism in the U.S.” The course description does not do this class justice, though. It is an interesting way to study history — you’ll learn about subjects you heard about back in high school, but through the lens of how the media reacted to it and how that reaction shaped public understanding.

Course Name: Women & Power in US through Civil War (131:171)
Gen Ed fulfillment?: None
Number of Hours: 3
Description: It is important to learn about the women who came before you (check out our Girls on the Move articles if you’re interested in that), and this class is a great way to study the role women played in early America. You’ll not only learn about how women’s “historical experiences challenge our understanding of American history” but you will also be able to understand how far we’ve come, and how we can go even further in women’s rights.

Of course, these are just suggestions, and you know your graduation requirements better than anyone (hopefully). It’s always a good idea to make an appointment with your advisor to figure out how many credits you need or what classes you can take.  Good luck putting together your perfect schedule—and let’s hope that perfect schedule doesn’t have any classes before 9:30.

*Photos from www.sxc.hu. 

My name is Kathleen McGowan. I am a junior at the University of Iowa double majoring in English and Journalism. My dream is to publish a collection of nonfiction essays or short stories. I enjoy writing, reading, cooking, and keeping up with TV and entertainment news. Feel free to follow me on twitter: @mcgowankj