Australia to America: Meet Ashley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Meet this week’s campus celeb, Ashley! She is an exchange student visiting all the way from New Castle, Australia. Ashley is a psychlogy major attending the University of Iowa for the fall 2014 semester and is returning to her home in Australia in December. She has spent her time here in the best way possible by getting involved in all that she can, exposing herself to multiple kinds of activities and meeting many new people. Here is a little bit more about Ashley’s time at the University of Iowa.

Which activities have you gotten involved in during your time at the University of Iowa?

“I joined a sorority, the ultimate frisbee team, the ice hockey club team, and I take Italian and dance classes here.”

Is it difficult to adjust as an exhange student?

“It is hard at first, but it gets better and better as the semester goes on. I can’t believe I only have about a month left here. The time has flown by.”

What is your favorite part about your time at Iowa so far?

“Definitely the tailgates.”

If there’s one activity or organization you would join if you had more time at the University of Iowa, what would it be?

“I went out for the ice hockey club team without having prior experience and I love it. I would like to focus on that more and I would take up acting classes. If  I had more time, I would maybe even audition for something.”

Ashley definitely recommends studying abroad and experiencing different lifestyles. She has loved living the Midwest American lifestyle at a Big 10 university. If you ever study abroad, be like Ashley and get as involved as possible! The University of Iowa will miss her excitement and involvement as she goes back to Australia in December.

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.