7 Ways To Celebrate Valentine’s Day When You’re Single

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

Ok, so it’s Valentine’s Day, and you are single. Maybe you don’t care at all, or maybe you low-key dread this holiday and can relate to Tina Fey a bit.

In any case, there is nothing wrong with being single, and while Valentine’s Day may celebrate couples, you can still have a super awesome day on your own or with your gal pals. Here are some ideas for how to spend Valentine’s Day.

1. Go out to dinner

Just because you are single doesn’t mean you can’t go out for a good meal. Get together with your other single girlfriends, dress up and treat yourselves to a fabulous dinner. Just try to get a reservation in advance!

2. Go shopping

Get a new pair of shoes that you have been coveting or a new outfit for work. 

3. Have a spa night

Either pamper yourself with face masks and luxurious lotion, or invite some of your friends over to share on the fun. 

4. Netflix

Not much explanation needed here! Just pick a good show or movie and grab a blanket and a big ole’ bowl of popcorn. 

5. Go to the movie theatre

Find a movie you and your friend have been wanting to see and go see it! 

6. Call somebody who could use a little more love in their life

While it may seem like a small thing, you could really make someone’s day by giving them a call and just letting them know you care, whether it’s a grandma, cousin or old friend. 

7. Just wait it out till the chocolate goes on sale

If all else fails, and you simply have no energy or motivation to do anything, wait till the 15th to stock up on all of the delicious Valentine’s candy deals. 

The most important thing to remember is that Valentine’s Day is about love. Even if you are not in a relationship, use this day as an opportunity to love your friends and love yourself. You are worth it and deserve a day to celebrate that.

U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.