7 New Year’s Resolutions You Forgot To Add To Your List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

With 2017 starting up, everyone has figured out their resolutions for the year. There are always the typical “get in shape” or “eat better,” but what if you added more to you list of resolutions? Maybe you were so focused on getting the big goals out of the way that you forgot to add some smaller resolutions. 

1. Be more grateful

Being grateful can help you overcome adversity and get along better with others. It will make you happier, too. If others know that you’re thankful for what they’ve done, they’ll return your kindness. 

2. Stop procrastinating

Sometimes it’s nice to relax instead of working on something, but you’ll be a lot happier (and less stressed) if you try to finish your work without putting it off. It’s better to get something done than to wait until the last minute and panic. 

3. Let go of grudges

It’s hard to forgive and forget, and it may seem easier to just hold a grudge against someone, but it will make you feel better if you let go of it. Forgiveness is a healthy way to deal with issues, and it may save you from losing someone you still want in your life. 

4. Smile more

Studies have shown that smiling can make you happy, even if you’re not feeling happy initially. If one of your New Year’s resolutions is to be happier, smiling more is the way to go about it. It’s like the old saying goes: “It takes more muscles to frown than to smile.” 

5. Be more punctual

Being on time makes you seem more professional, dependable and caring, and it will put you above others who are late all the time. There are tons of lifehacks on the web that can help you learn how to be on time more often, but here’s where you can start. 

6. Stand up to your insecurities

Those negative thoughts that burst into your head are something that shouldn’t be ignored but that should be overcome. A little trick to get past insecurities is to look at yourself in the mirror every morning and say one nice thing about yourself.

7. Stick with your resolutions

It’s easy to forget about your resolutions during the course of the year. After all, 365 days is a long time. If you develop good habits, it’s important to stick with them in order to create a healthy lifestyle. 

Photos: cover1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Rachel Green is a senior Journalism and Mass Communication Major at the University of Iowa. She is also earning two minors in Sport and Recreation Management and Spanish and a certificate in Creative Writing. She serves at Her Campus Iowa's Senior Editor, and is a member of Iowa's editorial team. When she's not working on something for Her Campus, she can be found studying in the library, doodling in her sketchbooks or curling up with a cup of tea and a book.  
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.