7 Life Lessons Theatre Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

“All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players.” -William Shakespeare

The stage is my world.

I saw my first musical, “The Ugly Duckling,” when I was in second grade, put on by the older students (and by older, I mean anybody in third grade or above). Sitting on the gym floor with my class, legs crossed and cramping, I knew that I had to be up there on the collapsable stage as soon as possible.

Since then, I’ve been in nine musicals, five plays, countless dance classes and voice lessons. I’ve even written and directed two one-act plays. I’ve stressed, I’ve cried, I’ve laughed, and I’ve made memories because of theatre.

Like anything you spend your entire life doing, you’re bound to learn about yourself and about life along the way. Theatre has taught me more about the world than I could have ever possibly imagined. 

1. Make the most of your situation.

I’ve never had a lead in a musical, and although it can be upsetting when the cast list comes out, I’ve never had a bad experience in a show because of the role I was given. Every show has allowed me to expand my knowledge of theatre. As long as I was willing to have fun and put on a great show, I didn’t care who I was (or wasn’t). 

The same can be said for any part of your life. Didn’t get an internship you wanted? Make the most of it and look for other great opportunities. Procrastinate a bit too much? Make the most of it and start working now. 

2. Love your talent…and know your talent, too.

Like I mentioned above, I have never had a lead in a musical. I tend to be an ensemble member or a dancer, and occasionally I have a few lines. It took me a long time to undetstand that not everyone can be a triple threat (fantastic dancer, singer and actor). I know now that I excel in dancing, I’m pretty good at acting, and I can carry a tune, but I don’t have the voice for a lead or for solos. 

I love that I can basically kick myself in the face when I’m dancing, and I love that I can be emotional or comedic when I’m playing a character. And I know that I need to improve my singing ability.

In my everyday life, I’m a huge perfectionist, and I would love to be the best at everything I do, but theatre has taught me to appreciate what I naturally have and work toward what I need to improve. 

3. Be comfortable with yourself…

I’ve had the privilege of wearing tons of gorgeous costumes (my favorite was a light blue, flower-patterned dress for “Put On Your Sunday Clothes” and “Dancing” in “Hello, Dolly!”), but that doesn’t mean I’ve always had that luck. I’ve worn many things, including my caked-on, heavy stage makeup, age makeup and victory rolls, out to public places, and the only advice I have for dealing with that is to own it. 

4. …and be confident, too.

If you’re not convincing in what you’re portraying onstage, no one is going to be able to get into the show. Smile until your face hurts, point your toes and anunciate in order to put on the best show so far. 

The same goes for anything in your real life. Even if you have no idea what you’re doing, and you’re panicking in your head, as long as you’re calm, cool, collected and confident on the outside, you can get through anything.

5. Don’t take on more than you can handle.

6. The show must go on.

Live shows don’t always go as planned, no matter how much you rehearse. Someone could miss their cue, or say the wrong line, or mess up their choreography, but you have to learn how to roll with the punches. You have to improv your way past the situation and make it look as if it were supposed to happen.

Problems arise all the time no matter what you do in life, and it’s good to know how to talk your way through them and to still appear confident and sure of yourself.

7. Lifelong friendships are made from people who see you at your best and still love you at your worst.

I will be the first to admit that I’m a raging psychopath during the rehearsal process of a show. I get grumpy, I angrily go through my lines or choreography, and sometimes I’ll snap at people. I never mean any of it, as stress is a huge factor into why I freak out, but, hey, if I can still keep my friends after having a meltdown, I’d say that’s pretty good.

Whether its one of many casts or the girls I took classes with, theatre brought us all together, and theatre will always keep us together.

When you find friends you find with a shared interest, keep them close to you. You never know when you’re going to need them.

Photo 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. Cover photo and photos 3, 4, and 7 belong to the author. 

Rachel Green is a senior Journalism and Mass Communication Major at the University of Iowa. She is also earning two minors in Sport and Recreation Management and Spanish and a certificate in Creative Writing. She serves at Her Campus Iowa's Senior Editor, and is a member of Iowa's editorial team. When she's not working on something for Her Campus, she can be found studying in the library, doodling in her sketchbooks or curling up with a cup of tea and a book.  
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.