6 Things I Learned From Attending a Private High School

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

I spent twelve years of my education attending private school. From kindergarten until the day I graduated high school, I never attended a class that was funded by the government. Although it was a choice that I didn’t have much say in, looking back I am so glad my parents made that decision for me. I learned so much and gained a unique experience that has shaped me into who I am today. Here are just a few of those things that I have learned over the years.

1. The value of an education.

It’s no secret that private school costs a lot more money than public school. However, especially as I got older, I came to realize the sacrifices that my parents and teachers were making in order for me to receive the best education possible. Today, that has carried over into how I view my college education. It’s something that many people are making sacrifices in order for me to obtain. I now realize that skipping class means about $200 completely wasted. Think about what you could do with that $200. Think about what you, your parents or whoever else is paying for your college education could do with the $20,000 they’re spending per year.

2. Your self worth is not dependent on your physical appearance.

I miss my uniform more than I ever thought I would. When everyone is wearing the same thing, you can’t judge the worth of others based on what brands they’re wearing or how low cut their shirt is. Although uniforms suppress creativity and self-expression, they’re also helpful in developing ways to stand out despite—and within—certain guidelines.

3. How to appropriately interact with elders.

In high school, a big portion of the funding was from donations to the school. We constantly had alumni visit the school and chat with us about our experience and what projects we were working on. Through this, everyone quickly learned how to interact with adults. This has and will continue to come in handy when dealing with professors, bosses and other important people.

4. Communication skills.

This is definitely something that could be learned in a public school, but a unique part of my K-12 educational experience was that I have never seen a physical fight in school. Was I sheltered? Of course. But I also watched people deal with issues in ways that were different than just physical attacks. If you fought in school, you probably would have been kicked out. (Actually, none of us even know because nobody dared to test the system.) Instead, we learned how to communicate our feelings and explore different coping mechanisms before resorting to physical altercations.

5. Respect for diversity.

Despite being a selective school that cost a lot of money, there were so many students that came from many different walks of life. My school specifically emphasized the value of diversity, and from that I have learned to be respectful of everyone. It’s important to remember that not everyone grew up in the same environment that you did. Not everyone has had the same experiences as you. When you respect these things and learn to work with them, it creates a much better environment for everyone.

6. Building relationships.

I still email my teachers from high school when I have something interesting to share with them. I have built relationships with so many creative, knowledgeable individuals over the last 12 years. Also, graduating with a smaller class than most, I was able to get to know a lot more of my classmates than I would had I attended a larger school. I have no idea where these relationships could lead me in the future.

Private schools are no better than public schools. I’m sure that had I attended a public school, I would have learned many of these things as well. However, through talking with friends that attended public schools and comparing our experiences, it is evident that mine was very unique. I had unique opportunities to collaborate with teachers and adults that I wouldn’t have had otherwise. I learned important skills like respect, how to appreciate something and how to effectively communicate. I wouldn’t change anything about my experience and am so grateful for my parents and teachers that have helped me become the person I am today.

Carly is a freshman majoring in Journalism with hopes of someday becoming the boss of the world. She grew up in Saint Paul, MN and left her heart there when she went to school 300 miles away in Iowa City. In her free time she enjoys blogging, eating good food, and being outdoors.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.