5 Foreign-Language Netflix Shows to Put on Your “to Watch” List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

In a show hole? Tired of hearing about the same heavily promoted American series over and over again?  Well get ready to turn on the subtitles (seriously, friends don’t let friends watch TV with dubbing), and enjoy some of the spectacular foreign-language shows Netflix has to offer!

1. Money Heist – Spanish

Money Heist follows “The Professor”, the enigmatic mastermind who plans to organize the biggest bank heist of all time. The Professor organizes a team of 8 people, all with a special skill to help break in to the Royal Mint of Spain and print 24 billion Euros (think Oceans 8). As the show carries on, the stakes get higher and higher as The Professor and his team get ready to face the police and the consequences that follow. With more than 34.3M households tuning in for Season 3, this is the largest first-week global household turnout for a non-English-language Netflix series.

2. Elite – Spanish

Fan of murder mysteries, drama, and romance? Look no further than Elite. This juicy Spanish drama follows the exclusive students of La Encinas as they welcome three new scholarship students to their world of money and secrets. The clash between those who have everything and those who have nothing to lose creates a perfect storm that ends in a murder. Who committed the crime? 

3. Call my Agent – French

After a film agency in Paris loses their fatherly head, two partners struggle to stay afloat as they deal with their own bickering and their famous clients. This delightful show features many European celebrities including Monica Belluci. Episodes follow the partners as they deal with over-dramatized versions of popular European celebrities.

4. Dark – German

When two boys go missing in a small German town, its sinful past floats to the surface along with the grimy secrets that exist among four families as they search for the kids. The mystery-drama series introduces an intricate puzzle that includes a web of mysterious characters, none of whom are free from the town’s sinful past– whether they are aware of it or not. 

5. Baby – Italian 

Loosely inspired by true events, Baby follows Chiara and Ludo, two teenage girls who attend a school an exclusive school in Rome who find themselves seduced into prostituting themselves for money. While Chiara and Ludo’s double lives serves as the central drama of the show, it is just as much about the girls journey to self discovery and fulfillment as they grapple with family and friend drama as well.

Image Credit : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

First-year Creative Writing Major at the University of Iowa.
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.