toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Pumpkin Decorating Alternatives To The Jack-O’-Lantern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Iowa chapter.

With Halloween drawing closer every day, it’s time to head out to the pumpkin patch, grab the perfect pumpkin and start decorating! Even though carved jack-o’-lanterns are the most popular pumpkin-decorating method, there are tons of other creative ways to get festive.

1. Glow-in-the-dark painted pumpkin

Buy some glow-in-the-dark paint at a craft store and get painting! These are super easy to make (check out the video tutorial here), and you can create intricate or simple designs; the choice is yours.

2. Melted crayon art pumpkin

Melted crayon art on canvases was a hit, so why not put it on a pumpkin? All you need is your pumpkin, a box of crayons, a hair dryer and this tutorial

3. Tulle-wrapped pumpkin

A pumpkin wrapped in gold tulle is an easy craft for those who want something that looks cute but doesn’t take much effort. All you need to do is buy some tulle, set your pumpkin in the middle and pull the tulle over the pumpkin before tying it at the stem.

4. Calligraphy pumpkin

Using paint pens or permanent markers, all you need to do is write a phrase on your pumpkins that makes you think of Halloween.

5. Confetti pumpkin

You can create any pattern your heart desires with this confetti pumpkin tutorial. You’ll just need glue and confetti in addition to your pumpkin, and you’ll be ready to go.

6. Gold-stemmed pumpkin

Soft pastel colors and shiny gold accents…yes, please! These chic pumpkins only require gold glitter, glue and paint. For an extra touch of color, you can use this tutorial to learn how to make a watercolor pastel pumpkin.

7. Gold-dipped pumpkin

For some added shine to your pumpkins, make them gilded! It’s easy to do with gold paint, as seen in this tutorial.

8. Water marbled pumpkin

Water marbling looks great on nails, so why not try it on a pumpkin? This tutorial uses the same technique as water marbling your nails to make it extra easy to do.

9. Fabric tape pumpkin

An easy DIY that looks like you put a lot of effort into it—perfect for busy schedules. With the fabric tape wrapped around the pumpkin, it looks like it could be stitched together or sewn on. This works on both big pumpkins and little pumpkins, and you can see how to do both in this tutorial here

10. Painted character pumpkins

When you paint your pumpkin instead of carving it, you can make it anything! Whether it’s a character like Jack Skellington, or you just want to paint a pretty design on your pumpkin, the options are limitless.

Photos: cover1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Rachel Green is a senior Journalism and Mass Communication Major at the University of Iowa. She is also earning two minors in Sport and Recreation Management and Spanish and a certificate in Creative Writing. She serves at Her Campus Iowa's Senior Editor, and is a member of Iowa's editorial team. When she's not working on something for Her Campus, she can be found studying in the library, doodling in her sketchbooks or curling up with a cup of tea and a book.  
U Iowa chapter of the nation's #1 online magazine for college women.