This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

So, I don’t know about the rest of you, but I rarely have extra time on my hands during the semester. Most of my time is filled with classes, readings, homework, a job and meetings. So, it’s very rare that I have time to read an actual book for my own enjoyment. But somehow, miraculously, two weekends ago, I had some extra time, and I read the most AMAZING book. 

I had been seeing all of these reviews of books on tiktok (another activity that sucks up a lot of my time). I love reading and I used to be that person that would spend $50 on one trip to the bookstore and buy books that I would never actually get around to reading. However, I kept seeing people raving about this book called Red, White, and Royal Blue. They said it was a great book and was about the cutest relationship, and I’m a sucker for a good romance, so I found it at my library and checked it out virtually. And let me tell you, I read this book in exactly 21 hours and loved every single word of it. 

For those of you that haven’t heard, Red, White, and Royal Blue is a story about what happens when the First Son falls in love with the Prince of Wales. It follows the realization and coming out of Alex Claremont-Diaz as he acknowledges his feelings for Prince Henry and all the drama and state-relations that come with it. There are scandals, schemes and so many love scenes.

This book has the classic enemies to lovers trope that’ll have your heart melting. The characters are complex and diverse and so lovable. Every character has their own independent personality, which may not be asking a lot, but it is definitely a refreshing change of pace from other books that I’ve read. This story had me laughing and crying, and craving my own international-political-scandal-romance. Not only does this book feature a female president, but it also features a bisexual Mexican-American main character. 

Red, White, and Royal Blue is romantic, sexy and hilarious and will have you reading for hours. The second I finished the book, I was craving more. Also, can we please get a movie adaptation soon?

Caitlin is a Senior at the University of Delaware. Her major is International Relations and she has minors in History, International Business, and Social Justice. When she's not writing for Her Campus you can find Caitlin running around campus (most likely with an iced coffee in hand) or with her friends.
Contributor account