This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

Our beloved Fightin’ Blue Hen football coach, Dave Brock spoke with Her Campus UDel for some insight into what it’s like coaching our division 1 team!

Her Campus: Have you ever coached for another college team before Delaware?

Coach Brock: Previous to Delaware, I was the offensive coordinator at Rutgers. Prior to that I was at Boston College, Kansas State, and the University of North Carolina.

HC: How does this season compare to other seasons?

CB: Well, were in the middle of it. It is exciting! We have a really young team. So everyday at practice, every week it is a challenge to get the kids better and play better. I think we’ve done that to this point and we’re obviously looking forward to going up to Rhode Island and continuing it.

HC: Do you find that fans play a big part in the players’ success?

CB: I think they can. The fans here are great. We are always constantly trying to find a way to increase student attendance and excitement. The kids who come are fantastic. We’re hoping they come out for the last few home games and give us a push.

HC: What is the most challenging thing about being a coach?

CB: You have to manage an awful lot of young peoples’ expectations. I don’t know that a hundred 18 to 22 young males is a great demographic all the time, so you try to make sure they balance everything in their life, whether it is football when they are here, their academic life, their social life. There is a lot of things that go on and these kids work really hard and there is a lot of challenges schedule wise and time demands-wise. It is a balancing act and I am really proud of how the kids handle it and we work very hard for them to do it.

HC: What is the most rewarding thing about being a coach?

CB: Well, relationships ultimately. You coach guys and in very competitive situations with them over time. To see them grow, to see them get better, whether it is as a football player, better as a student, better as a person, whatever the growth is. Ultimately, they graduate and they move on. The really rewarding thing is you have relationships with these kids years after they graduate. My family even has maintained relationship with them.

HC: Do you have any pre-game rituals or superstitions? Do you have any post game rituals for a win, or loss?

CB: No, not really. We do a pre-game walk into the stadium but that is it. I don’t personally have any superstitions.

HC: Is there anything you want to say to the student body about the team?

CB: Just come support us, the remainder of the 2015 season we’re going to be very excited to be back in town when we play New Hampshire! It’s parents’ day it is going to be a great day. The more support they can give us the better the kids will play. We love having them at the games! 

Junior at the University of Delaware, Political Science Major, Legal Studies and Political Communication minor! Follow me @court_bollinger on Twitter!
Amanda Schuman is a junior at the University of Delaware. She is currently majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media and double minoring in journalism and interactive media. Amanda is passionate about all things communications whether it's social media, public relations, writing or just networking. In her free time she can be found watching sit-coms on Netflix, with a book in hand or eating anything sweet. You can follow her @bluehen_amanda