10 reasons why you should study abroad in Rome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

This article is completely biased but everyone should study abroad in Rome. Okay, bye.

1. The food

HELLO!! You are in a city known for its pizza, pasta, gelato, and wine. What else in the world could you possibly need. Think about how if you study abroad in Rome you can get it after class every day. Even the fruits and vegetables are so fresh and without preservatives. Blood oranges will probably change your life for the better. Milk and eggs are kept on shelves in the grocery store and not in refrigerators, that’s how fresh they are. For dinner, it is usually those little hole in the wall places that will really wow you with their dedication to their homemade food.

2. You can see something new everyday

Rome is a big city with a lot of history. You can literally walk amongst ruins that are thousands of years old. It’s impossible to explore around Rome and not find something new you haven’t seen before. There are still excavations being done today from ancient roman times. It’s incredible to see a city how it used to be while being surrounded by many beautiful modern buildings.

3. The monuments

The colosseum, the Vatican, the pantheon, the trevi fountain, and the Spanish steps. And that’s only to name a few of the popular monuments and tourist sites. They make the city even more amazing than it already is. And let me tell you… They never get old. Go to the trevi with a bottle of prosecco and people watch or go to the pantheon where you will find the best gelato you will ever have next door.

4. Convenience of traveling to other countries

Rome is in a great location for traveling to other countries with an airport located near the center of the city. Traveling to other countries can also be very cheap, especially if you use cheap airlines like Ryanair. Also, there are so many places within Italy that you can travel to by train and spontaneously take day trips.

5. You have the chance to take classes that you never thought you would before

Imagine painting in Italy. For credit. You get the chance to take stress free classes that you will actually enjoy. You can even take a walking tour class where you can learn about the origins of the city that you are living in for 4 months. 6. Getting immersed into a new culture

Some places people go abroad to can be very Americanized and you don’t really learn about and immerse yourself into their culture. In Rome, you get the chance to really learn about the Romans and their way of life and you realize how different things are from the US.7. The relaxed atmosphere

Italians are never in a rush. You actually need to tell them you want the check before they bring it over because they think it is rude to rush you out. The city is not fast paced and stressful. It’s so nice to just take a stroll and enjoy the scenery. 8. The exchange rate

The euro to dollar conversion rate is almost equivalent. To make things even better, most things are a lot cheaper in Rome and it makes living there affordable.

9. The going out scene

Although we are not known for our outrageous clubs, although there are some good ones don’t get me wrong, going out in Rome can be quite an experience. Pregames take place in the local bars where they will usually have deals such as one euro shots. After you’ve had enough and want more of a club experience, you have a handful to choose from.

10. The food

Sorry it deserves extra recognition, it’s that good

Amanda Schuman is a junior at the University of Delaware. She is currently majoring in communications with a concentration in mass media and double minoring in journalism and interactive media. Amanda is passionate about all things communications whether it's social media, public relations, writing or just networking. In her free time she can be found watching sit-coms on Netflix, with a book in hand or eating anything sweet. You can follow her @bluehen_amanda