Zendaya Calls out Magazine for Excessive Retouching

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The nineteen year old actress and singer, Zendaya Coleman, recently called out magazine Modeliste for making her appear skinnier than she is through retouching.

She posted on Instagram saying:

“Had a new shoot come out today and was shocked when I found my 19 year old hips and torso quite manipulated. These are the things that make women self conscious, that create the unrealistic ideals of beauty that we have. Anyone who knows who I am knows I stand for honest and pure self love. So I took it upon myself to release the real pic (right side) and I love it Thank you @modelistemagazine for pulling down the images and fixing this retouch issue.”

Zendaya’s Instagram caption

Although she is young, the Disney Channel star did not hesitate to speak up about the body shaming magazines take part in by photoshopping models’ bodies.  She has also previously spoken out about cultural hairstyles and the stereotypes they perpetuate because of Hollywood’s view of beauty ideals. 

Zendaya continues to be a role model for other girls and may spark the bravery in others to take a rise to body shaming.