My Guide To The Perfect Summer Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The end of the semester comes with many pros and cons, and one of my favorite pros is that I will soon have time to read for pleasure again! As an English major, too much of my schoolwork revolves around reading for me to be eager to pick up another book during the semester, so I happily treasure the four months of no school work where I try and race through my annual Goodreads goal. As I scout out new reads and try to find what books I should bring on the plane, to the beach, and even to my own sunny backyard, I seem to go through a bit of a trend: reading books that go along with the sunny season.

Living in a similar setting to what I’m reading just makes for such an immersive experience, and it’s become an excellent strategy to help fulfill my summer and remain excited about each book as it reflects my own current setting. I recommend this tip for readers of all kinds, and the books below have been my favorites when accomplishing this goal. If you’re looking for something to pick up once the stress of finals season finally dies down, I highly recommend the novels below!

Malibu Rising

As the popular novel and now TV show Daisy Jones and the Six rises in popularity, so do author Taylor Jenkins Reid’s other works. You may recognize the title The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo, which was fantastic and I offer as a bonus recommendation, but Malibu Rising is perfect for the summer. The novel spans the day in which the hottest party of Summer 1983 occurs, hosted by famous surfer and model Nina Riva, in which her celebrity guests incite all sorts of chaos to keep readers intrigued. This is one of Reid’s greatest talents — filling her books with all sorts of juicy drama that make you believe everyone inside her books is a real celebrity. Between nepotism family drama and an out-of-control house party on the beach, Malibu Rising has all the details to keep you captivated in your beach chair for hours. Like the book’s time span, I read it in less than two days.

A Thousand Ships

While Greek mythology is certainly not everyone’s cup of tea, with Circe and The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller growing in popularity due to BookTok, I highly recommend A Thousand Ships by Natalie Haynes for those who are looking for something similar. You do not need to have any prior knowledge to read this tale of the Trojan War, which sets it apart from other retellings because of its entirely female cast of narrators. From watching their husbands and sons fall in battle, to being held prisoner on the beaches of Troy, the tales these women have to offer are as captivating as they are sorrowful. While Madeline Miller has dominated the Greek retelling genre for the past few years, Haynes deserves just as much recognition for her ability to create a unique voice for every chapter, making the Greek Isles the perfect setting for a summer read.

The Sunbearer trials

In this era of The Hunger Games renaissance, young adults battling to the death seem to be a theme in popular media, including Aiden Thomas’s latest novel The Sunbearer Trials. While not as grim as many popular dystopian stories, this book follows young semidiose Teo who has been unexpectedly chosen to participate in the Sunbearer Trials, a series of challenges in which the loser is sacrificed to keep this Mexican-inspired fantasy world alive. Often described as a mix between The Hunger Games and Percy Jackson, it’s an easily digestible form of fantasy that makes it perfectly relaxing for the summer season, with a world full of fascinating culture to create an immersive story strung together by an intense series of trails. If fictional competitions strike you as an exciting theme, I highly recommend this adventurous novel (which also has my favorite cover out of all the books on this list).

Instant Karma

The perfect pick for fans of the romance genre! Not only does Instant Karma take place on a popular boardwalk destination in the summer, but it also follows the protagonist Pru as she gets involved with her local sea creature rescue center, falls for her class rival, and delivers justice to those who have karma against them in this universe. This read is light and fluffy but still has a compelling plot and cast of characters to join you on your own summer vacation. If all you want is a cute story to brighten your beach bag, Instant Karma is a solid choice.

The Gentleman’s Guide to vice and virtue

Whether or not you have travels planned for the summer, The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue is the perfect adventure novel to get a glimpse of different places around Europe, particularly in the 1700s. Do not be intimidated by that time period. This book has some of the most entertaining narration I’ve ever read, and the historical settings are far from difficult to imagine. Mackenzi Lee is an expert at making history accessible for everyone, and this one tells the story of those perhaps less represented in our textbooks. Following young Lord Monty on a Grand Tour across the continent, he sets off with his sister Felicity and best friend Percy before things go off course, to say the least. Full of hilarious narration, quick-witted characters, and descriptive settings, this book is sure to suck you in and keep you enthralled with this adventurous trio and all the drama they find themselves in through various European cities.

If buying physical books isn’t your thing — we’re all on a budget, I get it — I highly recommend the free apps Libby and Hoopla to download eBooks and audiobooks! All you need is a local library card and these apps, as well as your library, make for excellent resources to check out these books and more. Happy reading!

Jessica Tusa is a writer at the HerCampus UConn Chapter. Jess loves to write about film and TV, pop culture, and unique college experiences. Outside of HerCampus, Jess stays involved in local media with her two positions at her college newspaper, The Daily Campus. She is also involved with Page to Stage Productions at UConn as a performer, director, and writer. She is currently a junior at UConn, majoring in English, with minors in Communications and Film Studies. In her free time, Jess loves to crochet, write in her journal, and catch up on the latest TV and movies.