This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

I may be a little biased since I’m majoring in journalism, but I think that writing is one of the most therapeutic things someone can do. Life can get overwhelming, but releasing all those thoughts onto a piece of paper has a way of healing the mind and releasing negative energy. There are many different ways to journal: bullet journals, diaries, doodles, brain-dumps, and more. My favorite way to journal is by just word vomiting whatever is on my mind at the time, and how it comes out is how it comes out. The best part? There’s no pressure for perfection. 

I personally like to journal in the morning, but some people do at night too. The morning allows me to start the day with a clear mind, but it could also be beneficial to get all your stresses out before going to bed. However, I think it’s important to note that journaling does not always need to be to release negativity. It’s also important to celebrate the small things and little victories that happen each day. 

Another popular method is gratitude journaling. No matter what’s happening, there are always things to be grateful for. Creating a small list, even three, of blessings always helps to put life into perspective. 

If you’re struggling to get started, the internet is full of different prompts to get you going.

Write about: 

• Your favorite day 

• Something that interests you 

• 30 things that make you smile 

• 10 words to describe yourself 

• Make a list of everything that inspires you – think outside of the box 

Other morning prompts I enjoy: 

• 3 things you’re grateful for 

• 3 goals for the day 

• 3 things I want to feel 

• 3 things I am 

• 1 person to send love to 

• 1 quote 

No matter which method you choose, the most important part is getting started!

Jordana is a senior at the University of Connecticut double majoring in communication and journalism and minoring in women, gender and sexuality studies. She spends her free time hanging out with friends, writing for The Daily Campus and most importantly, watching Below Deck Mediterranean. To reach Jordana, shoot her an email at jordana.castelli@uconn.edu or DM her on Instagram @jcastelli22!