Why Seeing “The Vagina Monologues” Was The Best Thing I’ve Done in a Long Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

This Saturday night I took it upon myself to switch things up a little. To remove myself from a sweaty frat basement, one filled with many vaginas, and spent my Saturday night with only one, “The Vagina Monologues”.

I wasn’t really sure what to expect from something called “The Vagina Monologues,” but I luckily got to speak with one of the actresses before I attended the show. Actress Lucia Greene explained, “This show is a series of monologues that are inspired by real women’s experiences with their vaginas. Some of them are funny and others deal with more serious content, however they all serve to invite audiences to explore what it means to be a woman.”

Page to Stage Productions, only a second year theatre group here at UConn, was behind the performance, which they rehearsed and prepared in only three weeks. It was directed by Alli D’Alusio. I got to speak with her afterwards and asked her why she had chosen to do this show.

“I wanted to do a project that was social justice-themed – something that would make an impact. Last semester I directed Urinetown, which was great. People came and saw the show and had a lot of fun and then they would go home. But this show teaches people and helps them understand.” She then admitted, “Selfishly, I would’ve loved to be in it and be involved.”

The play was originally written by Eve Ensler in 1996 and is a compilation of interviews from women of all ages, backgrounds, and experiences. The show touched upon technical and aesthetic aspects of the female anatomy, but also emphasized the importance of loving yourself and the direct relevance it has to the comfort in one’s own skin, and even in just saying the word “vagina”.

It spoke of the horrors and realities of rape, genital mutilation, and the lack of love in relationships – relationships with others and relationships with ourselves.

It spoke of the “angry,” “hungry,” and “talkative” vagina, as well as the personality and pride that it can hold for a woman. One of the monologues discussed the frustration of thongs and tampons, while also personifying the vagina: “[My vagina] wants to read and know things and get out more… It wants kindness. It wants change. It wants silence and freedom and gentle kisses…my vagina, well…it wants everything.”

Another monologue spoke to the important distinction of girls wearing a short skirt, and a girl “asking for it.” The actress spoke, “My short skirt has nothing to do with you.” She articulated the difference between touch and hurt, and that her short skirt is her “defiance,” not an invitation.

After the show, D’Alusio and the entire cast held a discussion with the audience about the show’s themes and messages that the audience received. One of the older audience members expressed, “My generation didn’t really talk about vaginas. It was nice to see you ladies so at ease and loving being a woman.” And that’s exactly what this show was. “The Vagina Monologues” is a celebration of women, a reclaiming of the vagina, and the discussion of things that people don’t normally talk about.

The last monologue of the show was a beautifully spoken piece about a revolution. A revolution for “those who go too far and feel too much,” a revolution that requires “sitting still” and “listening.” The final words of the show were, “Go ahead…love.”

If I took anything away from this show (though it was so many things), it would be to love. Love yourself and love your vagina.

Lucia Greene (middle left), Alli D’Alusio (front), and the cast of “The Vagina Monologues”.

Though I didn’t know what to expect from a show titled “The Vagina Monologues,” it didn’t take long for it to become apparent to me that this was a passion project, one that goes beyond sex and vaginas, and one that is meant to represent a connection and the importance of being present. The show is unapologetically raw and honest – a show about the sacrifices and rewards of womanhood and self-love. And I’d take that over a frat party any day.

If you want to be apart of Page to Stage Production’s next show or want to learn more, visit their Facebook page or email them at pagetostageproductionsuconn@gmail.com to get in touch.