Why I Stopped Being A Vegetarian In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Since the end of middle school, being a vegeterian has been a part of my identity. People either thought it was fascinating or incredibly weird. My friends would either tell me they wish they were a vegetarian too, or they’d get a tad bit irritated that I would not eat the steak their mom cooked for dinner.  

Despite the controversy, I really liked being a vegeterian and I loved that it made me a little bit different from most other people I knew. However, during my first semester of college, being a vegetarian felt impossible. The vegetarian options at the dining hall like soggy tofu or fake meat replacements were absolutely disgusting, and I would in turn try my hardest to fill up on pasta and salad every day. My friends would eat one plate of food in the dining hall and I would eat at least 2-3 plates just to feel full. 

I was exhausted 24/7 because my body was constantly trying to break down all of the carbs I was eating. Meanwhile, I forced myself to go to the gym at least every day to try not to gain weight from all the pasta I was consuming. 

As sad as I was to give up my vegetarian lifestyle, I knew that I needed a change. Over thanksgiving break, I started eating meat again. A lot of people told me that I would probably get sick from eating meat again after so long, but I was completely fine! I have felt better, both mentally and physically, and have had so much more energy since eating meat again. I finallly am no longer falling asleep in all of my classes, and am making each day 10x more productive! 

My piece of advice? Don’t let anyone make you feel guilty for wanting to change up your diet. While consuming less meat is better for the environment and your overall health, pay attention to your own body and do what makes you feel best. 

Chloe Kurtz

U Conn '22

Chloe Kurtz is a freshman at the University of Connecticut in the ACES Exploratory program. Chloe wishes to pursue a career in the Business field in the future. She enjoys drinking coffee, laughing with friends, and spending time with her family.