3 Reasons Why DCOM Movies Are Key To Your Feel Good Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Rather than study for any of my finals, all I have wanted to do in the past week is watch Teen Beach Movie. I am not sure why this movie out of all the possible movies I could think of came to mind, but something about watching a cheesy Disney classic felt really right during this stressful time. This got me thinking about why Disney Channel Original Movies (DCOMS) are just the right kind of movie that needs to be watched, especially after a really stressful and hard time. Well, do not fear. Here are a few reasons why I think DCOM movies are the right kind of movie to watch on your Feel Good Friday. 

1. DCOM MOVIES ARE COMFORTING DUE TO their PREDICTABILITY

While DCOM movies can have their twists and turns, the general storyline, after watching the first few scenes, is more often than not predictable and can easily be inferred by the common viewer. Most of these kinds of movies follow the high-low-high film structure, as I like to call it. The beginning usually sets up the characters and starts off on a general high. This is to grab the viewers’ attention and make them excited to keep watching the movie. Then, there ends up being some kind of conflict that occurs, leading to the low point of the movie. This is added to create some kind of tension and get the viewers to become more emotionally invested in the plotline and the conflict resolution. The end of the story usually sees the conflict getting resolved, ending back on a high.

Let’s take the movie Lemonade Mouth, for example. We start off the movie setting the scene, getting to know each of the members of the band, how they met, and their first few moments as a band. This starts the movie off on a high, making viewers intrigued by wanting to know what conflict occurs. Then by the middle of the movie, disaster strikes. Members of the band get sick. They break their hand, hurt their eye, lose their voice, and even end up going to jail. After this series of events, they have an unfortunate performance at the competition, which ends up being the pivotal changing moment that begins the conflict resolution. In the end, we see the band end on a high by getting the play in Madison Square Garden, with all internal conflicts resolved. This example shows the general predictability in regard to the storyline that comes with a good DCOM movie. But, there is some comfort in knowing that while conflict may come, it will eventually get solved by the end. And on a good Feel Good Friday, who doesn’t want a little bit of pull and release on their heartstrings?

2. DCOM Movies Always End on a Happy Note 

Personally, I do not think I have ever watched a DCOM movie that did not end on a happy note. But I feel like that is the true essence of a DCOM movie. The whole point is for these movies to give viewers a warm feeling by the time they reach the end. While the storyline may be cheesy, that warm feeling that you get at the end is what you take away from the movie, and always makes your day a little brighter. Let’s take a few examples. If we think about the movie Camp Rock (a DCOM classic), it ends with Shane forgiving Michie, them starting over, and a fiery performance of “We Rock!” at the Final Jam. The movie StarStruck ends with Christopher Wilde flying all the way to Michigan to make up with Jessica for what he said to her in their last interactions with one another. In Let It Shine, it ends with Roxie forgiving both Cyrus and Kris, and Cyrus’s father becoming more progressive in the kinds of gospel music that are allowed at the church. While these are only a few of the plethora of DCOM movies, a general trend that is witnessed is that it ends with all conflicts resolved, and all characters in a happy place, which ultimately leaves viewers in a happy place. That kind of happy and heartwarming feeling that we get after watching a DCOM movie is just the right kind of feeling to have on your Feel Good Friday. 

3. The Music Never Loses Its Spark!

Maybe it is just me, but I feel like the soundtrack of DCOM movies are not only so much fun to listen to, but is also the kind of music that can be listened to on repeat. This kind of music is the kind that immediately makes you either want to dance, or to belt out while it is playing on your TV. The entire soundtrack for the first movie of High School Musical, or Descendents, while overall cheesy, is so much fun and makes you just want to dance or sing. Hits from Lemonade Mouth and Teen Beach Movie just make you want to be a part of the performance and be a part of the movie. I feel like the songs from these movies are ones you can listen to at any time, and no matter what they will make you feel happy and put a smile on your face. This is a DCOM music playlist that I often listen to on my way to class, that puts me in a brighter spirit and always makes my day. 

Watching a good DCOM movie is a great way to spend a Feel Good Friday. While most of these kinds of movies are pretty cheesy, they always leave you feeling happy and content, and usually never disappointed. So pop your favorite popcorn, invite some of your girlfriends over, and watch your favorite DCOM movie. I promise it will be worth your while.

Rashmi Pai

U Conn '24

Rashmi is a senior at the University of Connecticut studying computer science and engineering, with a concentration in cyber-security and a minor in mathematics. She is currently a contributing member of Her Campus UConn and has been since the beginning of her junior year. Aside from writing for Her Campus, Rashmi is also a math tutor at the Q Center, an undergraduate teaching assistant for introductory Computer Science classes, and an undergraduate research assistant for the UConn Voter Center. She aspires to be a software engineer after she graduates from college. In her free time, Rashmi loves to play tennis and swim (and is always looking for a buddy to do both of these things with). When she gets a moment of free time (which is not often), you will most likely see her reading books by mirror lake, and watching re-runs of a range of tv shows, including Parks and Rec, Gilmore Girls, and Schitts Creek.