This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Ever since Midnights was released, my social media content has been filled with little else other than Taylor Swift’s latest masterpiece of an album and fellow fans’ thoughts.

A recent trend I’ve noticed on my TikTok FYP is people’s takes on what other albums of Swift’s discography the songs of Midnights fit in best with. Naturally, this seemed to me to be an incredibly fun matching game that utilized my Swiftie database of knowledge and gave me an excuse to spend even more of my (not so) free time analyzing Tay bae. Most of these videos only include four or five songs, which made my obsessive self think about how I would sort the entire album. So that’s exactly what we’re doing, and trust me, I’m taking this very seriously.

Is this going to be controversial? Possibly. BUT, I’m a veteran in the Swiftie community and will stand by my opinion like an expert witness would their case. Here we go:

1. “Lavender Haze”

Verdict: Lover

Explanation: Starting off easy peasy, this opening track celebrating the singer’s longtime love, Joe Alwyn, fits in perfectly with the celebratory euphoria of love that Lover is all about. (Also, did y’all expect “I Think He Knows” to start playing right before that first chorus? I love it when artists sample their previous work.)

2. “Maroon”

Verdict: Reputation

Explanation: This incredible song recounts an intense past relationship filled with passion and red flags. It has that deep register and bass trademark of the sultry darkness that is Reputation. It’s one of my favorites on the whole album!

3. “Anti-hero”

Verdict: 1989

Explanation: This was a little tricky because in “Anti-Hero” we see Taylor be brutally honest in a way uncharacteristic of any of her past work. But, when taking into account the upbeat pop sound and playful self-deprecation, especially obvious in the music video, I’m getting total 1989 vibes.

4. “snow on the beach”

Verdict: folklore

Explanation: Now, I’ve seen several people argue this song is more evermore than folklore because of the winter essence they get from the snow imagery, but the ethereal melodies from Lana and Taylor’s voices make this undoubtedly folklorian to me. It’s just so light and airy and makes me feel like I’m ascending into a sparkly, cloudy haze.

5. “You’re on Your own, kid”

Verdict: Red (Taylor’s Version)

Explanation: To me, this is the middle child in between “Everything Has Changed” and “Nothing New”— venturing into adulthood without the grace and excuse of your teenage mistakes but eventually realizing that hey, maybe you can do this.

6. “Midnight Rain”

Verdict: Reputation

Explanation: Aside from the fact that I think this is about Tom Hiddleston, which aligns with the “bleachella” era of Reputation, the techno elements and talk of wanting pain and living on the edge is so 2017 Taylor.

7. “Question… ?”

Verdict: 1989

Explanation: All I have to say is that there is no better answer than little Miss 1989. It’s just so fun and sassy. Also, the bridge of this song gives SUCH “Blank Space” vibes. “Boys only want love if it’s torture“: indeed, Taylor.

8. “Vigilante Shit”

Verdict: Reputation

Explanation: This one’s obvious, so this is all I’m going to write.

9. “Bejeweled”

Verdict: Lover

Explanation: Feeling good about yourself and knowing that you’re still that girl when you walk into a room is the self-love anthem that the shimmering Lover album completely embraces. Also Mikael Carlos on TikTok, this is your song now, I love you and your “Bejeweled” strut.

10. “Labyrinth”

Verdict: Reputation

Explanation: OKAY… I know this looks wrong at first glance, but the concept of falling in love, even though you know the world will subject you to relentless scrutiny to the point that you don’t even know if it’s even a good idea, is so reminiscent of the final third of the Reputation album. “Oh no / I’m falling in love” is the slowed-down sister to “Dancing With Our Hands Tied” and the panic but can’t-be-helped indulgence that “Labyrinth” emulates.

11. “Karma”

Verdict: Lover

Explanation: Don’t be mistaken into thinking this bop belongs on Reputation just because it has the word karma in it! This glitter gel pen track is about enjoying the sweetness of life after emerging from the trying times, and I couldn’t love it more.

12. “Sweet Nothing”

Verdict: evermore

Explanation: The idea of running back home to your safe place, away from the reach of the crazy outside world, encapsulates the end of 2020 perfectly. Combined with those “Ooh”s after every verse, this song is just so cozy, the exact vibes that the warm flannel of evermore wraps me in.

13. “Mastermind”

Verdict: Reputation

Explanation: The art of being strategic and pining for control because of past hurt and insecurity, but then using that skill to get you what you want, better yet what you deserve… is so Reputation. Need I say more?

14. “The Great War”

Verdict: evermore

Explanation: The prose in this song is exceptional, and the mature imagery automatically causes my mind to think of her 2020 albums. Coming to a final decision, “The Great War” is undoubtedly evermore for its slightly upbeat but simultaneous gut-wrenching storytelling.

15. “Bigger than the whole sky”

Verdict: folklore

Explanation: I cannot believe how painful this one is, WOW. The deep agony told through breathy vocals and sweet melody is signature of my favorite Swift album, the beloved folklore. Listening to this song brought me back to the first time I listened to “epiphany” while driving and had to pull over to cry because it was so moving. Taylor, you’ve done it again.

16. “Paris”

Verdict: Lover

Explanation: This one is SO fun! Living in your own little bubble of love and having the time of your life, untouched by all else going on in the world— that’s Lover, baby.

17. “High Infidelity”

Verdict: evermore

Explanation: Do we really want to know where TSwizzle was April 29th? Do we think it might look a little something like her house of stone covered in someone else’s “ivy”? Being revived by unlawful activities is reminding me of a little album called evermore, besties.

18. “Glitch”

Verdict: 1989

Explanation: Maybe this infatuation won’t last, but boy is it fun in the moment. Enjoying yourself and embracing the intoxicating whirlwind of new relationships screams 1989 to me.

19. “Would’ve, could’ve, should’ve”

Verdict: Speak Now

Explanation: I am honestly still in shock that this song exists. How many times have I screamed this in the car since it came out? A lot. GIVE HER BACK HER GIRLHOOD. IT WAS HERS FIRST! John Mayer… look out. Nothing else to say.

20. “Dear Reader”

Verdict: Lover

Explanation: An unreliable narrator giving you life advice in the middle of the night? There’s something almost eerie about this song that for some reason makes me think of “It’s Nice To Have A Friend.” A well-intentioned lesson at how to survive in the world, despite the woes and heartbreak, “Dear Reader” reminds me of the slightly cynical side of the Lover album.

final thoughts

So, the overall sense I’m getting is that if Lover and Reputation had a baby, Midnights would be their complex “eldest daughter syndrome” offspring. So it looks like Swift’s latest work and I have something in common.

Seriously though, what an incredible body of work and a stunning addition to one of the most iconic discographies in the music industry. Even the concept of an article like this couldn’t have been attempted with the majority of artists nowadays. The sheer volume of work Swift has produced in her young lifetime, and for them to be as iconic as they all are, is really one in a million.

Feel free to disagree with me and see how your categorizations compare to the rest of the fandom by playing this Buzzfeed quiz that lets you know the percentage of people who voted for each album per song.

And stream Midnights while you’re at it.

Megan is the PR/Event Planning Coordinator of Her Campus UConn. She is a junior at the University of Connecticut studying Allied Health Sciences and WGSS, on a pre-Occupational Therapy track. Megan enjoys writing articles about music, crafting, and incredibly niche astrology takes. This past summer Megan interned at Bradley Hospital under an Occupational Therapist, and her dire spending habits were largely funded by her other job in retail. When she's not writing or being a woman in stem, you can find her romanticizing her life through her Spotify playlists while doing one of her many hobbies. Megan's favorite pastimes are reading poorly written fantasy/romance, crocheting, and the gym, where she does more chatting than lifting.