taylor swift jack antonoff anti
taylor swift jack antonoff anti
Republic Records

5 Ways To Spice Up Your ‘1989 (Taylor’s Version)’ Listening Party

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you’ve been anxiously anticipating the release of 1989 (Taylor’s Version) since it was announced on Aug. 9 (a total of 79 days between the announcement and the release — but who’s counting?). While this album can be enjoyed by listening anytime, anywhere, what better way to celebrate the upcoming Taylor’s Version release than with a group of fellow Swifties? Here are some ideas to amp up the listening festivities in true Swiftie fashion! 

Dress code

Perfectly in line with the timely theme of Halloweekend, a 1989 (Taylor’s Version) listening party can easily double as a costume party! There are many different directions this idea can be taken, depending on how much time and energy the guests have to devote to an outfit. If you’re looking for a theme that everyone can easily match, you can channel Taylor’s energy from the Aug. 9 announcement show by wearing anything light blue. As for something a bit more involved, the 1989 era had plenty of memorable looks that can be recreated. Whether it be an iconic outfit from the “Shake It Off” video, a dazzling matching set from her world tour, or a more casual streetwear-inspired look, you can’t go wrong mimicking somebody who never goes out of style! And if you’re really feeling nostalgic, you can always throw it back to 2014, when 1989 originally came out — early 2010s Tumblr-era outfits would fit in flawlessly here. 

get educated

1989 is home to a number of several iconic songs, all with even more notable backstories. While the album can be easily enjoyed free of context, I personally always appreciate Taylor’s songs more when I understand the significance behind her lyrics. Obviously, Taylor rarely outright admits who her songs are really about, but it’s still fun to consider the theories that fans have come up with since the album’s initial release. Since most fans have agreed that a number of the album’s hits (especially “Out of the Woods”) are about the singer’s romance with Harry Styles, I recommend doing a quick search of the ex-couple on any social media platform to find a laid out explanation of their highly public, star-studded relationship. This video in particular does a great job of chronologically summarizing Taylor’s different relationships (including her dynamic with model Karlie Kloss, IYKYK). The 1989-related content kicks off at about 26:34, with the introduction of Haylor.

If you would prefer to hear more about the musical creation process from the genius herself, I advise you to watch Swift’s Grammy Museum Listening Session. This video is marked by the singer-songwriter breaking down how 1989 became the album we all know and love, concluding with acoustic performances of “Out of the Woods,” “Blank Space,” “How You Get the Girl,” and “Wildest Dreams.” With both of these videos clocking in at about an hour long, either of the two are suited to be perfect background videos to play as guests are beginning to arrive and get excited for the main event. 

Sip & Snack

What kind of party would it be without some themed refreshments? With 16 tracks on the original 1989, there are a number of options to choose from for album-inspired treats and drinks to spice up the fun. This could be taken in a number of different directions, but for inspiration purposes, here are a select few ideas (with recipe links!):

And if you really want to channel Taylor, try out her famous chai cookie recipe! Check out this Tumblr post for her personal baking directions.

Game time

Since I have been making my love for Taylor Swift a personality trait for most of my life, I have a number of Swiftie-specific game recommendations to get the crowd excited as the midnight release time creeps closer and closer! Personally, I am a fan of the 1989 song sorter, which provides a breakdown of your album favorites after a series of “song battles.” And if you have a lot of time to kill until midnight, you can also complete the collective sorter of Taylor’s entire discography. This one is much more time-consuming (and makes it more difficult to choose!), but is still worth it if you want to see a breakdown of all of your favorites.

Another tradition I have been doing since the eve of folklore’s release is jotting down my predictions for the new tracks, as well as guessing what my personal ranking will be. Though the majority of 1989 (Taylor’s Version) won’t be much of a surprise, it can be fun to guess how the “From the Vault” tracks will sound and see how accurate (or inaccurate) you are. Additionally, if your group has the time leading up to the party, a Taylor-themed slideshow night is the perfect way to pass the hours before the release. Some options here can include assigning your friends to what Taylor song/album/era fits them the most, ranking your favorite Taylor looks, exposing your own Swiftie hot takes — whatever will get you most excited for the album! 

finally midnight

Once the clock strikes midnight, it’s time to sit back, relax, and enjoy the music! You and your Swiftie squad can either listen straight through, start with the vault tracks, or jump around as you please. Personally, I recommend recording raw reactions to whatever track(s) you’re anticipating the most — I did this for the 10-minute version of “All Too Well” back in 2021 and will be forever grateful to have that historic moment captured on camera. 

Overall, 1989 (Taylor’s Version) is a celebration for Taylor and Swifties alike. So, have fun with it in whatever way is most true to you! Whether that be full-on glam and a lively party, or peacefully listening from the comfort of your own bed, I wish you all the best Taylor’s Version release yet! 

Kim Goldman

U Conn '25

Kim is a junior double majoring in Psychology and Human Development & Family Sciences at UConn. Beyond Her Campus, she is also involved with UConn's Academic Achievement Center and works at the UC cafes on-campus. In her free time, she enjoys hanging out with friends, journaling, attending concerts, and reading.