Ways To Take a Productive Study Break During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Productive Ways To Take A Break During Finals

Many people now a days equate finals week with all-nighters, too much coffee, and Netflix but it doesn’t have to be that way! Use these suggestions to take short, productive breaks that will rejuvenate your mind and allow you to make the most out of your studying time.

Exercise

Go for a run, walk, go to the gym or take a fitness class. Anything that gets your blood pumping and increases your heart rate. Exercise has been proven to lower stress levels and release endorphins which can help you relax and focus. Exercise is also known for increasing energy, allowing you to study and focus longer without overdosing on caffeine yourself.

Get Coffee

If you’re a coffee person, taking a break to sit down and drink coffee can be a great way to relax. There are so many coffee shops or cafes on campus that theres bound to be one close to where you are studying. For example, you can try Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, The Benton, or any of the UC Cafes. Even better, grab a friend and unwind together. You’re going to be drinking coffee during finals anyways, might as well enjoy it!

Do “easy” work

If you’re someone who likes to be organized and enjoys getting things done then try doing something productive that doesn’t stress you out as much. You could catch up on your emails, make a to-do list, organize notes, or clean your room, computer, etc. Work like this will take a lot less energy and can even help you de-stress by accomplishing other things at the same time.

Call a family or friend

If you’re away from home like most, sometimes some encouraging words from a mom or dad can make the difference. A quick ten or 15 minute phone call with someone you’re close to will put you at ease; you can vent, ask for a distraction or just talk, whatever will help you. Besides, I’m sure your family would appreciate the phone call anyways.

Play with the puppies

Ok so this is not exactly productive, but who doesn’t love a cute little dog to play with? It might not help you accomplish anything but it’s definitely a great mental break and (in my opinion) an appropriate use of time.

Hey I'm Hayley and I'm a sophomore here at UConn form Boston, MA. I'm a Marketing major and Communications minor with a strong interest in fashion and journalism. I hope to be the next future Lauren Conrad one day and run my own lifestyle blog. I'm also interested in fitness and health, movies and television, as well as psychology (such a random assortment of things, I know). When I'm not trying to maintain my sanity with homework, the gym and studying, I spend most of my time with my sisters in my sorority or catching up on my TV shows through Netflix. You can contact me through email or on here! :)