photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

The Ultimate Saturday Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

It’s Monday. You’re in class and your friend asks what you did this past weekend. You think about the Netflix you watched, the wings you ordered and (maybe) the homework you did before finally saying “nothing really, what about you?” We’ve all been there—and we know that I-just-wasted-my-whole-weekend feeling. Well, not anymore! Here are my ultimate picks for how not to waste your Saturday:

1.     Try a new flavor at the Dairy Bar

Or better yet: go with a few friends and share ice cream to try a few new flavors at the Dairy Bar.

2.     Go for a technology-free walk around campus

To fully enjoy all the beauty UConn’s campus has to offer. Don’t forget to walk up to Horsebarn Hill to visit (and smell) the cows! And don’t worry—when you take out your phone to Instagram, it doesn’t count as technology.

3.     Cheer on the Huskies at a sporting event

Maybe you’ve put “go to at least one of every team’s games” on your full-time bucket list. Use a weekend to catch a game and cross one of our many winning teams off your list. Or support our football team during the best season they’ll maybe ever have during your time as a student. Check out the full sports schedule here.

4.     Try out a new recipe

Because what’s the point of pinning all those cool recipes if you never actually try them out? And if you don’t know where to start, try one of my personal favorites: cupcakes in ice cream cones.

5.     Explore Storrs Center

Whether you’re a senior who hasn’t realized everything Storrs Center now has to offer or a freshman who wants to see more of campus, this is the place to be. Grab a burger from Mooyah or be a little ~cultured~ and check out a show at the Ballard Institute and Museum of Puppetry. And you can’t fully experience Storrs Center without checking out Sweet Emotions, our very own candy shop.

6.     Take a road trip to the Big E

As a born-and-raised New Yorker, I had never been to the Big E until this weekend. I was overwhelmed with the rides, pig races and deep fried—well everything! The fried cheesecake I went for (below) was absolutely to die for. If you like anything fun, then grab some friends and drive up to West Springfield, Massachusetts before October 4th!

7.     Hit up the mall and treat yo-self

If I’ve learned anything in the past few years, it’s that whether it’s one-on-one or a group session, nothing beats a little retail therapy. Local buses will bring you to the Eastbrook strip mall (with Kohl’s, T.J. Maxx and Michael’s), but I highly recommend driving up 84 to Buckland Hills.

8.     Feng shui your room

Because college is all about the motto “New room, new me.” Start by organizing your life and throw out everything you don’t need. And to take it a step further, mix things up by printing out new pictures, throwing magazine pages on your wall, or completely moving your furniture around.

9.     Visit an apple orchard

And celebrate fall in New England the proper way with some old-fashioned apple picking (and Horse Listeners Orchard is only a 15 minute drive from campus). Pull out your riding boots, grab some friends, and don’t forget to bring apple cider and donuts back to campus with you for a healthy late-night-snack alternative!

10. Call your grandma

Because nothing puts you in a better mood than ten minutes of “I’m so proud of you! Don’t forget to have fun! You look great on Facebook!” And make sure you forgive her when she asks if you’ve found a nice boyfriend yet because no, you haven’t.

Whether you explore my ultimate picks or choose your own, start checking things off your Saturday Bucket List. Happy weekending, friends!

Jackie is a senior at UConn studying Actuarial Science and Finance. She's low-key addicted to alternative breaks, Netflix and Lifesaver "Wint O Green" mints. In her free time, she enjoys ordering late night food, pretending to be sporty, and throwing impromptu dance parties in her room. You can find her on Twitter @xowackiejackie.