The Ultimate Guide to New and Returning Fall TV Shows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Summer is officially over people and do you know what that means? Our favorite fall TV shows are returning and networks like ABC, FOX and CBS are giving us new shows to fill our DVRs.  I have compiled a list of my all time favorite returning shows and some new shows that I am really excited to start watching! Most of these series are on Netflix so if you haven’t started watching a show that is already 10 seasons deep, don’t worry! Grab your favorite snack (or S.O.) and get to watching. *Spoilers ahead, so read with caution*

Returning Fall TV Shows

Grey’s Anatomy: Thursdays 8 p.m. on ABC

Grey’s Anatomy returned on September 24th for its 12th season. Last season, we said a very sad and emotional goodbye to Patrick Dempsey’s character Dr. Derek “McDreamy” Shepherd. This season, Shonda Rhimes is bringing the medical drama back to basics, focusing on the romantic relationships of the characters in addition to Meredith Grey’s life after Derek’s death.

Scandal: Thursday 9 p.m. on ABC

Scandal returned on September 24th as well in its 5th season.  In a recent interview with ABC News, Kerry Washington (Olivia Pope) reveals that this is just the beginning for Olivia and Fitz. Now that Olivia has been exposed as the President’s mistress we will see throughout the season how their relationship withstands the public scrutiny. The season will also focus on Olivia’s crisis management firm and bringing the Gladiators back together.

How to Get Away with Murder: Thursdays 10 p.m. on ABC

How to Get Away with Murder is in its sophomore season and it is off and running. Last season, Annalise Keating’s husband was killed by five of her law students. This season will follow the trial for his murder with Annalise’s lover as the main suspect. This show keeps you on your toes- in the last episode it was revealed that Annalise was shot and the prosecutor for her murder case was killed as well. We will most likely have to wait all season to learn what caused these two crimes but we are going to love every minute trying to figure it out.

Empire: Wednesdays 9 p.m. on FOX

Empire’s premiere season was a huge hit with audiences and it’s now back for a second season. Lucius is in jail awaiting trial for murder and Jamal is now in charge of the family business, Empire. This season will bring in so many guest stars and cameos like Ludacris, Chris Rock, Kelly Rowland, Mariah Carey, Alicia Keys and more.

New Fall TV Shows to Watch

Quantico: Sunday 10 pm on ABC

A group of recruits arrive at the FBI Quantico Base in Virginia for training. The show follows the lives of this group as one recruit is suspected of masterminding the biggest terrorist attack since 9/11.

Blood and Oil: Sundays 9 pm on ABC 

“A new millionaire is made every day”. A young married couple moves to North Dakota in hope of striking it rich off of an oil boom only to go up against the old money veterans of the business.

Grandfathered: Tuesday 8 pm on FOX

A playboy learns that not only does he have a adult son he didn’t know about but he also has a granddaughter. The show follows John Stamos’ character as he goes from George Clooney to doting Grandfather, overnight.

Limitless – Tuesday 10 p.m.; CBS

Based on the 2011 movie starring Bradley Cooper, Limitless follows the life of a man who gains the ability to use 100% of his brain’s capabilities by taking an untested, illegal chemical drug. Executive producer, Bradley Cooper, plays the role of a Senator who is also on the drug.

Blindspot – Mondays 10 p.m.; NBC

“Jane Doe” has her memory erased and turns up in Times Square with new tattoos covering her body that also reveal clues to crimes that need to be solved.

Scream Queens – Tuesdays 9 p.m.; FOX

Scream Queens is the modern take on the classic film, Scream. In this new horror-comedy Ryan Murphy show, a sorority is terrorized by a serial killer who they refer to as the Red Devil.

Wicked City – Tuesdays 10 p.m.; ABC

The first season takes place in the 1980s and focuses on two LAPD detectives as they search for a pair of romantically linked serial killers who thrive on terrorizing the Sunset Strip. Seasons that follow will be tackling a different crime and era each year.

Happy Netflix and Chilling season!

Ari is a self admitted fashion-aholic with an insatiable appetite for handbags and beauty products - not necessarily in that order.  When she is not bingeing on Netflix, daydreaming about Louboutins or scouring the Internet for "up to the minute" entertainment news, she can be found at the nearby Sephora offering advice on the latest and greatest must-haves - and NO - she does not work there.