UConn Takes Back The Night 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

This Wednesday, April 13, the Violence Against Women Prevention Program (VAWPP), hosted their annual Take Back the Night event. This event takes place every April in honor of Sexual Assault Awareness month. It was held in the Student Union Ballroom to raise awareness about sexual, relationship and gender-based violence affecting the members of our community and to promote survivor empowerment and healing. Following the event, students marched through campus chanting with signs and candles. After, there was a “speak out,” where survivors shared their personal stories surrounding sexual and/or gender-based violence.

This years design for the t-shirts above.

Students created T-shirts with words and images about the issue of sexual assault.

Several groups performed and spoke out against sexual violence, including Poetic Release and Greeks Against Sexual Assault (GASA). A capella groups Rubyfruit and The Rolling Tones also performed.

Greeks Against Sexual Assault (GASA)

Poetic Release

Rubyfruit

The Rolling Tones

Former Undergraduate Student Government Sen. Stephanie Sponzo also spoke about the Celeron Path Beautification Project. Celeron Path, widely known as the “Rape Trail” is getting a new makeover. There were five new cherry trees planted on the trail. Sponzo said they will bloom every April in honor of Sexual Awareness Month. The project is one of the many ways that students are trying to end the perpetuation of rape culture on campus.

Former USG Senator Stephanie Sponzo

Keyanna is a senior Journalism major, Women Gender & Sexuality Studies minor at UConn. She loves reading and writing just as much as she loves sleeping in! She has no clue what she wants to do when she graduates, but she has a while to figure it out.