books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

UConn Resources You Need to Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Are you feeling disorganized? Could your GPA use a boost? Need to revise your study habits? Each semester involves new classes, professors, and material to learn, and UConn has a ton of resources to help you succeed as a student.

Academic Workshops

The Academic Achievement Center offers afternoon and evening workshops on topics such as time management, exam preparation, study habits, note taking skills, stress management and more. The workshops are located in Rowe 217*. For all things academic, the Academic Achievement Center is a great place to start.

*Two of the workshops are located in NextGen, as listed on the website.

Q Center & W Center

The Q Center and W Center, both located on the first level of the library, are tutoring centers for students taking Q or W classes. The W Center recommends you make an appointment for a 45 minute session. If you have a paper to write and need help getting started, you can make an appointment for the W Center.

The Q Center only tutors for specific courses, including varieties of mathematics, chemistry, physics, and statistics. These courses are typically 2000-level and lower. There are also private tutors for a more personal tutoring experience with varying rates. The Q Center also offers review sessions for exam preparation. UConn also offers a Language Center, free Economics Tutoring Center, and Engineering Tutoring Center.

UConn Connects

UConn Connects is a mentor-based program that students can participate in, which lasts the entire semester. Students get paired with a mentor and meet with them each week to check in on academics and ensure preparation for due dates, exams, and more. The program has proven to help improve grade point averages. If you think you could use some short term help, the Academic Achievement Center (AAC) also has walk-in coaching hours in Rowe 217.

AAC Academic Resources Page

The Resources Page on the AAC website has over 20 links to different resources including how to efficiently use flashcards and outlines, reading strategies, and a semester calendar so you can put all your big due dates on one calendar to keep an eye on them. There are also links to GPA calculators, time management, note taking, and how to learn from your exam results. It’s a great page for getting organized and staying on track.

The Major Experience

The Major Experience (TME) is a program designed to help students explore different majors. Many students go to college with “no idea” of what they want to do or study. Some people think they know what they want to do, but also want to keep their options open. If that sounds like you, this is a great resource to use. The TME site also offers self-exploration tests, to learn more about yourself, your goals, values, and skills through evaluations.

Humphrey Clinic and Counseling & Mental Health Services

The Humphrey Clinic offers counseling for individuals, couples, and families. From the Humphrey Clinic website, “Typical issues for students include anxiety, depression, family issues, relationships, past trauma, conflict with roommates or friends, stress management, managing academic load, making decisions about the future.” The sessions are $15 for UConn Students. The clinic is located at 843 Bolton Road, U-1117.

UConn Counseling & Mental Health Services is another resource for students who may benefit from counseling or therapy. College can be really hard for students, not only with academics but also relationships, friendships, and being away from home for extended periods of time. It can all become really challenging and stressful. If you believe CMHS may be a good resource for you, get started and find out more information today.

College can be really tough to adjust to but there are so many wonderful resources at UConn that are designed for students. If you need any academic help, career guidance, or mental counseling, don’t be shy or embarrassed. You aren’t alone, and the sooner you seek the help you need, the easier it gets to work through it. Good luck Huskies!

Cover Image Source

Chelsea is a senior undergraduate at the University of Connecticut. She is pursuing a degree in Digital Media & Design with a concentration in business strategies, as well as a minor in Communications. She holds one of the Marketing & Design chairs for her school's chapter of Her Campus.