This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

We have all been freshmen on campus, so we all know the dreaded confusion that occurs when we realize that we don’t know something. Whether it’s the hours of the gym or how to get your packages, we all have been dumbfounded on campus. Here are some helpful answers on how to maneuver campus like a 5th year senior:

When should I do laundry?

This is the major question we all have. Hours upon hours can be spent waiting in the laundry room for the “final spin cycle” to finally finish. If you’d rather spend these hours doing something useful, try doing your laundry really early on the weekends. Since the dining halls don’t open until 10:30 (except for South), most kids will sleep in and recover from the prior nights adventures. This is prime laundry time. Set your alarm for 9:15, throw a load in. Go back to sleep. Wake up again at 10:15, put everything in the dryer, and then head to breakfast. You’ll be bounds ahead of all the laundry-doers since most people are unwilling to wake up early on the weekends! 

How do I know if I have a care package? How do I get it?

UConn mail rooms are nice enough to send an email when you recieve a package. Once you’ve gotten this email all you have to do is go to your designated mail room with your mail key and ID. You’ll have a package slip in your mailbox and you just bring it to the desk with your ID. They’ll get your package for you and have you sign for it. Easy as that!

When’s the best time to go to they gym?

Never. All UConn students learn early on in their time here that it is never a good time to go to the gym.  Especially at the start of the semester when everyone’s focused on not gaining the “Freshman 15” (yes even seniors can worry about this) / “New Years Resolutions,” so waiting until the hype has died down is a good idea. There are tons of routes and trails on campus to run, as well as a wide array of campus activities. UConn Outdoors offers hiking, mountain biking, kyacking, and so many more trips that keep you up and moving all day. Another great option are the Bodywise classes, which are offered in Putnam (the dining hall by Hilltop). These classes range from Zumba to Cross Fit to Spin, but make sure you sign up fast. Registration starts 24 hours before the class is held. Be warned…they fill up! 

What do most girls wear to class?

Clothing choices can range from yoga pants to maxi dresses; it all depends on you! A lot of the Business School folk will have professional attire on, depending on what events they’re required to attend, while the athletes will probably be sporting their team swag. But normally, people dress comfortably, since we’re stuck in class all day. You can never go wrong with jeans and a cute top, but don’t be afraid to have your own style. Nothing is too crazy here. People have been photographed wearing cow onesies and horse masks to class, so I’m sure it won’t be too out there. 

What is the difference between points, flex passes, and swipes? How do I pay at cafes?

Here is the simple explanation. Every time you walk into the dining hall, you get in with a swipe. You have infinite swipes to all dining halls, which means you can eat as many times as you want (which is why those Bodywise classes help us out)! Flex passes are used in two ways. First, if you want to bring a friend who has no meal plan, parents, or friends from home. Anyone that doesn’t have swipes of their own needs to be flexed in. Second, they can be used at Grab-n-Go, which is the option some dining halls have to bring a meal with you back to your room (super useful during finals week). Finally, points can be used at the Union or at any Cafes to buy food. 1 point is like having 1 dollar. So when you’re at the U on a Friday night and want some wings, those points are your best friends.