New Trailer Drops For Wes Anderson’s ‘Asteroid City’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The trailer for the newest entry into Wes Anderson’s filmography, Asteroid City, has been released and is sparking loads of excitement for Anderson (and film) lovers like myself. The film’s premise revolves around the ongoings of a fictional desert town hosting the 1955 Junior Stargazer Convention, which is ultimately disrupted by “world-changing events” (talk about an Anderson plot line).

Anderson has become best known for his zany and whimsical direction, and, judging from the trailer, Asteroid City seems to fall in line with his style: wildly oversaturated images, symmetrical shots, and offbeat, eccentric characters with quirky dialogue and deliverance.

A fan-favorite aspect of Anderson’s films is that he tends to use the same actors repeatedly throughout his catalog; some actors and actresses have become so attached to the Anderson legacy that their involvement in an Anderson project is practically a guarantee. Asteroid City is Anderson’s 11th directorial project and stars, to no surprise, Anderson regulars such as Jason Schwartzman, Tilda Swinton, Edward Norton, Adrien Brody, Steve Carell, Jeff Goldblum, and Willem Dafoe; there are also some notable new additions to Anderson’s catalog, like Tom Hanks, Scarlett Johansson (yes, she voiced for Isle of Dogs, but this is her first time appearing in an Anderson film), Margot Robbie, and Bryan Cranston (also voiced for Isle of Dogs), to name a few.

You might notice one name, in particular missing, from this cast list — that is Anderson royalty, Bill Murray. Murray unfortunately dropped out of the project due to apparent COVID-19 interferences prior to the film’s production in September of 2021. His absence will most definitely be felt, but there are tons to be excited about advancing the film’s release nonetheless.

Asteroid City is set to release in theaters on June 16th, 2023. If you haven’t seen the trailer yet, check it out for yourself below!

Ava Reilly

U Conn '24

Ava is a junior English major at the University of Connecticut. She loves getting creative, spending time outdoors, watching movies, and listening to music!