Top 7 Documentaries to Watch Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

For those of you who like to convince yourselves you are partaking in “educational activity” by choosing documentaries for your binges, you are not alone. Documentaries are by no means as boring as they sound and there are so many relevant documentaries that span a broad range of social, economic, political and environmental topics at your disposal. Whether you’re an animal rights activist or a criminal justice junkie, here are some of the best documentaries to indulge in. 

#7. Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father

This documentary has been out for a while, but it was only recently that I heard about and watched it. It is less socially relevant than the other documentaries on my list; however, it is a heartwarming and mind-blowing tribute of a late father from his friends and family. The documentary begins by explaining the tragic death of Dr. Andrew Bagby, and the viewer soon discovers the heartbreak of his friends and family when they find out that not only did he have a son on the way, but that the mother is actually his murderer. One warning: this film does not have a happy ending – it’s one of those true stories that makes you look around and count your blessings. 

#6. Fed Up

As a 2014 film analyzing the obesity epidemic in America, this film should lure in any nutrition fanatics. Even if you’re the first one to shove a large McDonald’s fry down your throat for dinner, I would still suggest taking the hour and a half to learn about the role of the food industry in the unhealthy state of Americans today. A couple years ago, there was definitely a wave of hype surrounding documentaries that expose the unhealthy habits of Americans. However, I particularly like this movie because it does not cease to blame the food industry for this huge, increasingly serious problem.

#5. 13th

A relatively new film, 13th closely examines the United States prison system. This was actually an optional film for one of my sociology classes and, being me, of course I watched it but I’m so glad I did! I consider myself relatively ~woke~ but this project actually offered me facts about the history of the United States that I didn’t previously know. It made me look at racial issues in a new light and I believe that is something really important in this extremely polarized America we are living in right now. 

#4. The Hunting Ground

Every collegiate should be required to watch this documentary. It educates its viewers on sexual assault on campus statistics from all over America. Unfortunately, UConn is actually featured – but don’t let that scare you away. In fact, let that be a reason to watch the film. Every college woman should be equipped with the knowledge that this film yields; and if you can relate to any of the statistics or stories in the film, it will help you to know that you are not alone and this is a real epidemic in our country, not some arbitrary feeling of fear that you made up.

#3. Fantastic Lies

This film tells the story of the false rape accusation of the Duke lacrosse team in 2006. It’s a devastating story that intertwines pertinent social tensions such as race, class and gender into 1 hour and 42 minute documentary. Also, if you’re at all interested in the United States legal system and government, this film gives you an inside look at what really goes on. When I watched it, I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. If you do choose to watch this, be prepared to have your heart strings tugged and your faith in humanity restored. It’s a truly cathartic experience watching this film. 

#2. Grizzly Man

Timothy Treadwell ventures into Katmai National Park in Alaska every summer to live – no joke – amongst the grizzly bears. He documents his time as the only human amongst the beasts with a video camera, but the film is actually composed of fragments of his personally-shot videos pieced together by others. Why he wasn’t the one to put his own film together is something you’ll have to find out for yourself! If you like to watch thrillers, are interested with eccentric personalities or have ever wondered about living in nature amongst the wild, I recommend checking this one out.

#1. Blackfish

By far my favorite documentary on the list because I became infatuated with the main character, Tilikum! Blackfish is a 2013 documentary that tells the story of Sea World’s killer orcas, primarily their prized Tilikum, and how their unethical state of captivity has been the cause of many tragic human deaths and accidents. This film would especially be interesting to watch following Sea World’s announcement that they are holding their last generation of orcas; if you’re curious about the events that led to this decision or just a fan of animal rights and ethics, this may be the perfect doc for you.

Happy Netflix-in!

Cover Image Source