This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

We all experience feelings of wanderlust, but it’s only reality that not all of us have the time or means to book a quick trip to Europe to satisfy these feelings. So, if you find yourself wanting to travel, but don’t want to break the bank or deal with jet lag, I’ve found the perfect place for you– Montreal, a city in Quebec, Canada. Montreal is only about five and a half hours from UConn, so over spring break a couple of my friends and I decided to visit. While we only stayed for four days, we were able to get that foreign feel we’d been craving since second semester began. The time we had in Montreal was a blast, and too amazing not to share. So, I’ve compiled a list of the top 10 places you must go and see in Montreal if you ever find yourself there.

1. Crescent Street (Rue Crescent)

Let’s be honest here. Montreal’s nightlife is amazing. Not only is the city home to four colleges (two English speaking and two French speaking), but the legal drinking age in Montreal is 18, so, there are a good amount of people that take advantage of the pubs, bars, and nightclubs that this city has to offer. If you and your friends find yourself wanting to explore the night life, I highly suggest that you head over to Crescent Street, located in downtown Montreal. The Sir Winston Churchill Pub, Thursday’s, and Hurley’s Irish Pub are great spots, just to name a few. Crescent Street also has great restaurants, one that comes to mind is called “Le Warehouse”, all of the dishes on the menu are only $5.95, and while the drinks are more expensive than that, they’re certainly worth it– plus the vibe inside of the place is so upbeat and their playlist will undoubtedly have you and your friends headbanging and singing at the top of your lungs.

2. Notre Dame-Basilica  

Located in the historic district of Old Montreal, the Notre-Dame Basilica is a great spot to escape from the bustle of city life. Its external Gothic style architecture is beautiful, but one step inside will immediately take your breath away. Its intricate wooden carvings and statues, the vibrancy of the blues, golds, reds, and purples highlighting the altar, as well as depictions of the history of Montreal lining the stained glass windows and the Casavant Freres pipe organ located above the main level are enough to make you forget about the fact that you’ve eaten many more French pastries during your stay in Montreal than intended.

3. Old Port of Montreal (Vieux Port de Montréal)

Since my friends and I visited Montreal during March, we didn’t quite get to fully experience all of the activities that the Old Port had to offer. Even though temperatures were below freezing, the view of the port and the water surrounding it was amazing, and I can only imagine how much better it must be in the summer. So, if you decide to travel to Montreal in the summer, or even late spring, you’ll definitely want to stop by this location. There are many activities to partake in here. If you want to get an aerial, panoramic view of the port and the city, you can hop on the sixty-meter high observation wheel. If you and your friends are feeling adventurous, I suggest checking out Voiles en Voiles, a pirate ship themed adventure park and ropes course located directly on the port! There are also lots of small shops and restaurants lining the port that are sure to keep you busy throughout the day.

4. Le Plateau Mont-Royal

If you want to take a break from touristy activities, Le Plateau Mont-Royal is definitely the place to experience Montreal like a local. Le Plateau is known for its more lowkey, hipster atmosphere, making it a popular spot for young people. Its streets are lined with quaint apartments, as well as vibrant and eclectic murals created by local artists. The parks are great for people watching or enjoying a relaxing day in the city, and not to mention, there are an endless amount of cute coffee shops and restaurants in this area to keep you fueled during your journey through Montreal. Somewhere in particular that I’d suggest stopping by if you find yourself wanting dessert, is Chocolats Favoris. Their broad selection of ice cream and candies will have you drooling, and if you’re feeling bold, try a variation of their poutine–trust me, dessert-style poutine is way better than it sounds! Overall, Le Plateau is an awesome part of Montreal, unlike any other part of the city.

5. Saint-Catherine Street (Rue Sainte-Catherine)

If you’re looking to go on a little shopping spree during your trip, Saint-Catherine Street is the place for you. It’s essentially equivalent to the Saks Fifth Ave of New York City, the Newbury Street of Boston. Saint-Catherine Street is lined with a variety of shops. A majority of the shops are chain stores like Urban Outfitters, Club Monaco, and H&M, however there are also a good amount of boutiques located on the street as well. The street also gives way to the underground city of Montreal, which we’ll get into a little later…

6. Mont-Royal

If you’re looking for a beautiful view (and picture perfect spot), you MUST visit Mont-Royal. The city takes its name from this small mountain situated directly next to the downtown area. You can either drive to the top, followed by a short walk to see a beautiful overlook of the city, or, if your feeling up for the challenge, you can hike to the top. Either way, the view is 100% worth it.

7. Old Montreal

Cobblestone streets, hidden cafes, beautiful architecture, and unique boutiques all line the streets of the Historic Old Montreal, making it a must see for any visitor. After visiting the Notre Dame Basilica, take some time to wander around the district and enjoy a croissant (or two). For a unique experience and killer cappuccino, I recommend visiting what used to be the Royal Banks headquarters and is now Crew and Collective Cafe; it is easily the largest and most beautiful cafe you will ever enter.

8. Underground City of Montreal

Montreal is known to be freezing in the winters, and scorching in the summers, so to escape the extreme weather the city has expanded underground. A series of connected shopping malls, hotels, metro stations, office towers, and residential areas stretching about 20 miles can take you from one neighborhood in the city to another. It is one of the largest underground complexes in the world, definitely worth an itinerary add-on if you happen to be visiting during not-so-lovely weather.

9. Sugar Shack

While not located within Montreal, visiting Sucrerie de la Montagne is a must. This “sugar shack” is located about an hour and 15 minutes outside of the city in rural Quebec. The maple syrup made here is as authentic as it gets, and because of this they encourage you to put it on everything from your pea soup, to your beer. After a delicious meal be sure to dance the night away to Canadian folk music, and pick up some maple syrup inspired souvenirs (my favorite was the maple butter) for friends and family back home.

10. Olympic Stadium

The olympic stadium, which hosted the 1976 summer olympics, is the pride and joy of Montreal citizens, and its unique history and architecture makes it a perfect spot for visitors. It is now used for various purposes such as concerts, professional sports games, and as a training facility, but you can also tour it as a visitor. Make sure to take a ride up the world’s tallest inclined tower, located on the property, for amazing views of the city!

Montreal is filled with beautiful views, delicious food, interesting people, and a killer nightlife, making it the perfect spot for your next trip! Hopefully you have as good a time as we did.

Ellie Willis

U Conn '22

Ellie is an Actuarial Science major at The University of Connecticut.
....