The Top 10 Ice Cream Shops In Connecticut

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

The weather’s getting warmer, and you’re craving the best dessert of all time — ice cream. Where do you go for the perfect cone? 

As a self-proclaimed ice cream connoisseur, I’ve tried almost 40 different ice cream shops in Connecticut over the last few years on a mission to find the best of the best (if it wasn’t already glaringly obvious, I really love ice cream). And now I’ve put together a list of what I consider to be the 10 best ice cream places in Connecticut (complete with flavor recommendations) so you know exactly where to go when you’re in the mood for a sundae. From traditional ice cream farms to modern nitrogen ice cream to UConn’s very own backyard, this list has it all — so let’s get into it.

10. Plasko’s Farm Creamery

This ice cream shop is a hidden gem in Trumbull, Connecticut. It has the cutest farm feel with its quaint building and plentiful outdoor seating area. What makes this ice cream shop stand out is its extensive menu; they have so many fun flavors with tons of mix-ins. It always takes me forever to decide on my order when I visit Plasko’s because when I stare into their plentiful ice cream case, every flavor looks delicious (luckily, they offer samples). Plus, their portion sizes are massive, so you know you’re getting a good bang for your buck!

I recommend: Gone Fishing

9. Saugatuck Sweets

Right in the heart of downtown Fairfield, you’ll find the cutest little red building that hosts some of the most delicious ice cream in Fairfield County. A fun bonus is that this shop sells a bunch of penny candy along with ice cream! Their menu is on the smaller side but you definitely won’t mind because of how creative (and delicious) their flavors are. Though they’re a little pricy (this is Fairfield, after all), their ice cream is definitely worth it. Saugatuck Sweets is in the perfect location to grab a giant cone and then walk around Fairfield on a warm spring night.

I recommend: Cookie Monster

8. Sweet Claude’s

This highly underrated spot in Chesire, Connecticut is a hidden gem. This shop has the cutest old-fashioned vibe with a chalkboard menu boasting all their amazing flavors, as well as a photo wall highlighting the shop’s history that makes a great backdrop for photographing your cone. I love that Sweet Claude’s has a great mix of your classic flavors as well as some unique combinations with delicious mix-ins. They also had delicious dipped waffle cones — any shop that can cover a waffle cone in chocolate is automatically pretty high on my list. 

I recommend: Salty Pretzel

7. Buttonwood Farm

If you’re looking for the most photogenic ice cream shop in Connecticut, then Buttonwood Farm is the place for you. This shop is located right next to a gigantic sunflower field! So not only can you participate in a gorgeous sunflower maze (during the on-season, at least), but you can also eat some of the most delicious ice cream in the state (in massive portions!). Both the ice cream and the waffle cones are made on-site and it shows: anything you order here will be phenomenal. With a creative menu, a great topping selection, and a fantastic view, this farm is worth the drive.

I recommend: Caramel Turtle Swirl

A cup and a waffle cone of ice cream outside in Connecticut.
Original photo by Kayla Simon

6. Wentworth Homemade Ice Cream

Wentworth Homemade Ice Cream has amazing classic ice cream shop vibes, with a cute front porch and adorable signage. But obviously the standout here is truly delicious ice cream. The quality at Wentworth is fantastic, and their menu is extensive without being overwhelming. With generous sizing and delicious sundaes, Wentworth is worth visiting if you happen to find yourself in Hamden.

I recommend: Graham Slam

5. Frisbie’s Dairy Bar

Frisbie’s Dairy Bar not only stands out because of their delicious flavors, but also because of their incredible menu. Their farm fresh ice cream is given the most fun, Connecticut-themed names, with flavors like Rocky Hill Road, Southington Salted Caramel, and Manchester Mango Strawberry Sorbet. It’s clear Frisbie’s has a lot of Connecticut pride in addition to their delicious dipped cones and stellar flavors. With incredibly generous portions and reasonable prices, Frisbie’s is another shop that’s worth going out of your way to visit.

I recommend: Newington Nutella

4. Rich Farms 

Rich Farms is undoubtedly one of the best ice cream farms in the state. While they do have a smaller flavor selection than some of the other spots on this list, they more than make up for it with the fantastic quality of their ice cream and cones. I think their homemade waffle cones might just be my favorite in the entire state. I also love their outdoor patio for seating; Rich Farms is definitely the perfect place to enjoy a delicious ice cream cone on a beautiful summer night. Definitely be prepared to wait in line at this spot (it’s popular!), but just know that the wait will be more than worth it.

I recommend: German Chocolate Brownie

Chocolate ice cream in a waffle cone at Rich Farms in Connecticut.
Original photo by Kayla Simon

3. Milkcraft 

With multiple locations in Connecticut, this nitrogen ice cream shop is a must-visit. At this small-batch creamery, you can watch the employees make your ice cream and fresh bubble cone right in front of your eyes. With flavors like Milk & Cereal, Smores Campfire, and Strawberry Balsamic (to name just a few), there’s something for everyone at Milkcraft. While these cones are definitely on the pricier side, I have to say I think they’re definitely worth trying. I mean, ice cream served in a warm bubble waffle? It doesn’t get much better than that. Oh, and make sure to come with an appetite because these cones are gigantic!

I recommend: Cookie Butter

2. Ferris Acres Creamery

Ferris Acres Creamery is a solid 10/10 for any ice cream lover. Their menu is truly impressive, with over 25+ regular flavors you can order daily and an additional list of rotating specials that changes depending on when you visit. Don’t get it twisted, though — when I say “regular,” I’m talking about flavors like ​Parent Trap, which is vanilla ice cream with peanut butter swirls and peanut butter Oreos, or Cookie Jar, which is vanilla ice cream with fudge swirls, mini chocolate chips and chunks of crushed chocolate chip cookies. The ice cream at Ferris Acres really shines with its quality; it’s abundantly clear with any flavor you try that this is homemade ice cream at its best. I appreciate that their ice cream isn’t overpriced at all; you can order the most delicious cone you’ve ever had, scooped to the brim, and you won’t be anywhere close to breaking the bank. Even if Newtown, CT is a bit of a drive for you, this is ice cream worth going out of your way for. 

I recommend: Cow Trax

A cone and a cup of ice cream outside the Ferris Acres Creamery sign at an ice cream shop.
Original photo by Kayla Simon

1. UConn Dairy Bar

Would a list of the best ice cream places in Connecticut be complete without the UConn Dairy Bar at #1? I don’t think so (and I’m not just biased because I’m a UConn student). The Dairy Bar boasts what might just be the freshest and creamiest ice cream in all of Connecticut. One of my favorite things about the Dairy Bar is their rotating monthly sundae specials. Order one of these, and you’ll be greeted with a giant bowl almost overflowing with ice cream, whipped cream, and some delicious combination of themed toppings. If you take your ice cream to eat outside the Dairy Bar, you might even be able to see cows as you chow down; that’s how you know this is the good stuff. 

I recommend: Husky Tracks

A sundae at the UConn Dairy Bar.
Original photo by Kayla Simon

I hope you’ve been taking notes. Now, when you’re craving ice cream as the weather gets warmer, you’ll know exactly where to go! 

Kayla Simon is currently a senior at the University of Connecticut working towards a B.A. in English with a double minor in Communication and Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. Some of her hobbies outside of Her Campus include reading and writing poetry, drinking iced oat milk lattes, listening to Noah Kahan, and taking photos for her photography business.