Shopping via Unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Shopping via Unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Cam Morin via Unsplash
Style

Thrifting Tips for the New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Thrifting is in. People are finally hopping on the sustainable and fun trend. I’ve been thrift shopping since high school, but I think it can be quite overwhelming if you don’t know what to expect or where to start. Hopefully, with these tips, you will be more comfortable starting out and find your new closet. 

Know what you want you before you shop

I think the best way to shop in general is to make a list of what you’re looking for/in need of, so that you don’t get off track. I think it’s easy to get carried away while shopping, but if you are on a stricter budget or limited in clothing storage, this will be really helpful. I like to also utilize Pinterest and create boards of styles that I like to narrow down on things based off of what I noticed I like, such as oversized sweatshirts. 

Look online

I think a lot of people limit themselves to thrift shopping in a store, which is normal, but there’s so many more options also online. I really like apps like Depop and Poshmark because you can narrow down based off of your sizes or certain brands you want specifically. I also really like going on Instagram and shopping off of other people’s accounts, because they are more likely to be flexible with pricing. A more expensive but trendy option are upcycled vintage websites, such as Flight Vintage and Frankie Collective. These websites are typically more expensive but you also don’t have to do alterations. 

Donate your own clothes

I only like to go thrifting if I also give away my own clothes. That way, I know what clothes I really don’t like or what styles no longer fit with my current taste. I think donating my own clothes and making room for clothes that I know I would actually wear makes me feel better and less cluttered. 

Dress comfortably 

So if you do plan on going to a thrift store, I highly recommend wearing comfortable clothes you can easily change in and out of just so you can try on clothes in the store with ease. Dressing comfortably also can make you feel less anxious or overwhelmed by all of the options around you. Or, if there are no dressing rooms, dress in a way that you can easily layer over to try on pieces. 

Explore other sections 

I highly recommend looking at the men’s sections and the athletic sections. I don’t recommend exclusively sticking in one area because it can get boring and then you’ll feel discouraged. I think looking around and seeing the different sections can offer more diversity to your closet. 

Shop for basic colors 

I personally think that basic colors look more timeless and bright colors can really look dated. I think basic colors fade more evenly and are just easier to incorporate into your closet if you’re a beginner. Of course, don’t be afraid of color but I think getting pieces in basic colors such as black and grey are easier to match with your pre-existing wardrobe. 

Do a clothing swap with your friends 

You don’t have to spend money on your clothes! You can set up a clothing swap with your friends to save on money and not to be stressed about shopping in public. You’ll be in company that you are familiar with and it’s a fun way to get new pieces of clothing. 

Check the quality of the item(s)

Sometimes, there can be a stain or a button missing on an item. If you notice that, you can ask for a markdown and get a reduced price. I’ve gotten sweatshirts that I had the intention of cropping and I noticed there would be a stain or a rip in them, and I would try to get a price reduction. Try to get clothes that are good quality so they can last longer and avoid anything with pit stains, holes, strange odors, or misspellings. 

I hope that you can use these tips to get some new thrifted items. I always prefer thrifting because you can just buy more unique pieces and find high-quality items for cheaper. Thrifting is a journey, and I hope you can find some treasure at the end of it. 

Jillianne is a political science student who loves to travel, workout, and most importantly, eat.