This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Imagine losing your home, rights, and freedoms in a singular moment. This is currently happening in Ukraine, and many civilians are enduring hardships with the recent ongoing war with Russia. The media shows families displaced, young men joining the army, and cities destroyed by bombs. Innocent women and children are in danger daily as a result of the war and frequent bombs. The Russian attacks have been a brutal and clear violation of human rights, a tragic situation that many Ukrainians feared would happen.

The History

Ukraine and Russia have a long, complex history. Ukraine was once part of the Soviet Union; the Soviet Union was a government composed of multiple Eastern European countries. The Soviet Union’s capital was in Moscow, and many nations under this union had to follow the State’s mandate to learn Russian. At the time, many Ukrainians were forced to learn Russian in schools and speak Russian as a primary language. To this day, many Ukrainians speak both Russian and Ukrainian as a result of the Soviet Union influence. Eventually, the Soviet Union dissipated and Ukraine declared its independence from the Soviet Union on August 24th, 1991. Unfortunately, the fight for their freedom continues today as Putin wants a foothold in Ukraine to reunite the Soviet Union. Ukraine is an independent country with its own culture, beautiful language, and landmarks. Despite Putin’s abhorrent efforts, Ukraine stands as a nation with strength and resilience.

Few civilians want this war. Many Russians have family in Ukraine, and many Ukrainians have family in Russia. No family would like to see each other displaced or living in bomb shelters. The media shows many Russian civilians protesting against the war in the streets of Moscow and St. Petersburg. Nations such as America, France, and England have protested against the war and held marches to show their support for Ukraine. In fact, the Ukrainian Student Association at UConn recently held a protest against the war and valiantly demonstrated their support for Ukraine. Furthermore, the aggressions come directly from Putin and those with high chairs in the Russian Federation. They are sending military orders and trying to silence those protesting the war in Russia. Despite the Kremlin’s efforts, civilians from both nations want to live in peace, and many people globally want this nightmare to end.

How to Help

My heart hurts for the people of Ukraine. Being part Ukrainian, it hurts to know family members I never met are suffering during this time. Fortunately, many organizations are accepting donations to help Ukraine. Médecins Sans Frontières (Doctors Without Borders) is a non-profit organization with the mission of saving lives through medical services. The donations help Ukraine with medical supplies and provide training for mass casualty incidents. The Ukrainian Red Cross is another non-profit organization providing humanitarian aid for injured people and those evacuating. Type One Style is a business that is sending proceeds to help diabetic patients in Ukraine. Also, they’re accepting donations of sweets to help patients in Ukraine that might undergo hypoglycemia, along with diabetic supplies. Sunflowers for Peace is a non-profit organization helping orphans and providing medical care. There is also a GoFundMe started by Nataliya Baltsevych to help her hometown in Ukraine. The purpose of this GoFundMe is to provide permanent shelter and supplies for those affected in Zalischyky and those traveling to this area. These are just a couple of the many organizations that are helping Ukraine. It is up to us to help make a difference and positively impact the life of someone abroad. One small donation can make a huge difference.

“Be The Change You Wish To See In The World”

-Gandhi

Sarah Barta

U Conn '24

Hey! My name is Sarah and I am a sophomore at the University of Connecticut studying ChemE.