This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Thanksgiving is a wholesome time of year for a few reasons. It’s a time for everyone to reflect on all the good they have and all they are grateful for. It’s a time to be with family and friends and set aside that hectic work schedule for a little bit. Not everyone has it as great as you do, so this is a time to truly appreciate what wonderful things life has already given you. Whether it be donating to food drives, volunteering at a soup kitchen, participating in a Thanksgiving day race, digging into your grandma’s apple pie, or hugging someone dear to your heart, there is so much good to look forward to this November. 

One of the reasons why I love Thanksgiving is the opportunity I get to take in all of the wonders of fall. I love when the air is fresh and people are smiling, coming together to do nice things for those in need, and dressing up in warm, cozy, cuddling ensembles. Here are some of my favorite ways to spice up my wardrobe in November: 

Did someone say sweater weather?

Ah yes, that time of year when you can start to bring out those beloved fuzzy sweaters for class and breakfast out with the fam. These are the sweaters that keep you even warmer underneath those jackets on brisk morning walks and ice skating trips. There are endless opportunities to fall in love with sweater styles, and you can do it on a budget too when you thrift and recycle the treasures. We love a thrifty queen. 

picture of me with a sweater
Clara Gomes-Ferres

Pull up with those cute fuzzy socks

I know. It’s so tempting to see super fuzzy socks at the store and not want to leave with them. All the designs and textures to choose from. You can really have fun with socks as an accessory for the overall fit!

booties for days

I personally love a good pair of boots to wear to class. Over leggings and warm socks, you can walk comfortably and look stylish. Rain boots can also be worn as snow boots depending on the style. A lot of people really work the high-top Converse look this time of year too!

Scarves and mittens, baby!

Bring on the aesthetics. I know I’m not the only one who falls for the patterns and color-contrast this season! The scarves and gloves really pull together the ready-to-take-on-the-cold look while looking fashionable all at once. It’s so much easier to enjoy yourself when you’re not thinking about how cold it is out.

cute beanies and coffee mugs

Just because Halloween is over doesn’t mean we’re all done with the pumpkin spice love. Bad hair day? A beanie is a simple fix for those coffee runs when your hair just won’t play nice. 

picture of me with hot chocolate
Clara Gomes-Ferres

windbreakers and teddy cover-ups

Sometimes we’ll need more than sweaters to keep us warm. Windbreakers and teddy jackets provide a great extra layer of warmth. I especially love the teddy-bear-textured coats and jackets because of the french-girl-on-an-adventure look they can communicate. These kinds of jackets also go really well with any hairstyle, an easy-breezy bob being one of my favorites. 

picture of me thrifting
Clara Gomes-Ferres

zero nail design rules

What’s really awesome about November is how both warm and cold colors can fit in. Bright oranges and deep reds can pull a look together just as nicely as a cool blue and ocean green can. If you love getting your nails done or painting them on your own, the design inspiration is pretty limitless. 

Don’t forget to take the time to write down what you’re grateful for. This is something that everyone should practice year-round, so if that hasn’t been your thing, Thanksgiving this year is a wonderful time to start. 

Clara is an undergraduate student at the University of Connecticut, Storrs, who is actively pursuing a degree in Communications. Clara has also worked as a designer for her school newspaper "The Daily Campus" and runs a fashion and lifestyle blog called "Why Not?". In her free time, Clara enjoys meditation, music, podcasts, sushi, and trying new things. Her dream is to work for a brand she is truly passionate about.