This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

Thank you.

Thank you for all that you’ve done for each one of us.  Without you, Her Campus, we would not be who we are today.

In 2009, Her Campus was founded by three Harvard students, Windsor Hanger Western, Stephanie Kaplan Lewis, and Annie Wang.  

Six years ago, on March 15th, 2011, Her Campus UConn was born.  That’s where our story begins.

It’s hard to put into words just how much this organization means to me, personally.  Serving as HC UConn’s Campus Correspondent & Editor-in-Chief this year has been one of the best experiences of my life.  I’ve gotten to see our group blossom into the strong, passionate, honest, fierce, kind, dedicated, unapologetic women that they are.  

But HC UConn is about so much more than my own experiences.  The real impact comes from the collective experiences of everyone involved.  

“HC UConn is a fantastic way to meet other smart, interesting women and to gain confidence in your own writing abilities. Writing for HC UConn is one of the things that has helped me to realize that there is no one “right way” to be a woman, we all have vastly different experiences, and interests. You can write about activism and politics one day, and a fashion guide the next day. All of your thoughts and feelings are valid here, and that has always been a very important piece of what makes HC UConn special, in my eyes.”

Olivia P., HC UConn Secretary

“HC has allowed me to express myself through words and has given me a platform to write as freely and as creatively as I want to. It is one of my proudest college experiences and it has been an honor to be surrounded and influenced by so many talented women.”

Callie L., HC UConn Writer

“HC UConn is such a positive group of young, inspirational women and I’m so glad I am able to be a part of it. Writing gives me an outlet to express my ideas and creativity. I have met so many nice and accomplished young women through HC UConn. The fact that my work is out there as a freshman for everyone to see is such an amazing feeling. I look forward to three more years of amazing times with such incredible ladies!”

Alexis A. HC UConn Writer

“I definitely think joining HC was one of the best decisions I made at UConn. I always loved writing, but never thought I would get a chance to get such great hands-on experience and have my work published. This group has given me the chance to express myself creatively and to be surrounded by such a great group of inspiring and empowering women.”

Amanda O., HC UConn Writer

“Her Campus UConn is a place I know I am welcomed and wanted by a group of smart, kind women. Although we may not have the same views or opinions, no one is ever criticized or turned away. I love that the girls here can cover topics ranging from makeup and fashion to politics and feminism. This is my favorite thing to bring up when asked or talking about Her Campus. Her Campus has made helped me grow confident in my writing. When I first applied, I was worried I would not get in because I always saw myself as an awful writer. But now, I use pieces I have written for Her Campus when asked for writing samples as I’m applying for jobs. It has made me love my major, Communication, even more. Honestly, I cannot wait for the next year with Her Campus UConn.”

Natasha S., HC UConn Marketing & Design Director

“HC UConn was the first club I joined as a freshman, and I can honestly say that the women I’ve met in this org have helped me build such confidence in myself. I’ve found a platform to voice my opinions and write in a way that can inspire others along the way. I can’t imagine my UConn career without HC at all. I am absolutely grateful for the memories and opportunities this organization has blessed me with.”

Tiffany T., HC UConn CFO & Fundraising Chair

“HC gave me the courage to find my voice and every day since, it has inspired me to keep using it, unapologetically. It introduced me to a group of women who are complex, fierce, resilient, and complicated. I’m not only thankful that they have taught me to be a better writer, but more so a better person. We are women supporting women, and that’s something to be proud of.”

Brenna S., HC UConn Writer

“HC has introduced me to my forever friends. I love being surrounded by strong, supportive, fierce, unapologetic, diverse women. I love being a part of a community that is so uplifting and also educating. I am inspired everyday by the women in this club and they’ve shaped me into the woman I am today. HC gave me my voice.”

Lily Z., HC UConn Event Director

“Joining Her Campus UConn was definitely one of the best decisions I’ve made in college! I transferred to UConn last year as a sophomore which made it a little difficult to get to know people at first. But joining HC during my first semester here introduced me to an entire group of inspiring, supportive and friendly people that I have been so grateful to get to work alongside of. Although I have always loved to write, it got difficult to find the time to write for myself during high school and college and my major didn’t really give me the opportunity to do so either. Her Campus UConn reintroduced me to my writing hobby and has provided me with the opportunity to be creative and express myself. It is an incredible organization made up of a diverse group of women who all support each other and I can’t wait for my last year with Her Campus UConn next year!”

Maggie L., HC UConn Writer

“HC has taught me about the value of women supporting women and brought me to so many cool and smart girls who aren’t afraid to speak up about things that matter to them.”

Jackie N., HC UConn Social Media Director

With 61 members this semester, the love for HC goes on and on.  It has brought people friendships, confidence, passion, life experience, and most importantly, happiness.  So thank you, Her Campus.  Thank you for allowing us to find who we are through writing and social connections with women in our community and around the world.  Thank you to our writers.  Without you, we would not exist.  Thank you for your dedication, for your passion, and for your compassion.  Thank you to our readers.  You are the reason we are still here today.  You are the reason we do what we do.  

Happy sixth birthday, Her Campus UConn, may you see many, many more. 

All images provided by Her Campus UConn and our members.

Nikki is the Campus Correspondent & Editor in Chief for Her Campus UConn.  She is a senior majoring in Communication with a minor in HDFS.  Nikki wishes she was Beyoncé, worships Adele, eats more pasta than is probably recommended, and is a Ravenclaw at heart.   If you have any questions or concerns regarding Her Campus UConn, you can email her at nicoleharris@hercampus.com.