Sweeps, Surprises, and Slaps: 13 Memorable Moments from the 2022 Oscars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

For the past two years, in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, award shows just haven’t been the same. Celebrities have given acceptance speeches over Zoom, giant arenas have looked empty with guests six feet apart, and viewership of these events has drastically fallen. However, this year, audiences finally got to experience a ‘normal’ version of the quintessential event for film lovers: the Oscars. With history-making winners, gorgeous red carpet looks, and unexpected celebrity drama, it’s safe to say that the 94th Academy Awards came back with a bang. Read on for 13 memorable moments from this year’s Oscars.

1. Ariana DeBose makes history

You may have heard the name Ariana DeBose before— the American ‘triple threat’ is an award-winning Broadway actress who was in the original cast of Hamilton, previously competed on So You Think You Can Dance, and most recently played Anita in Steven Spielberg’s film adaptation of West Side Story. If you haven’t heard of her before, you’ll certainly hear about her now. For her role as Anita, DeBose became the first Afro Latina and the first openly queer woman of color to win an Academy Award for acting.

This award comes exactly 60 years after Rita Moreno won the same award for the same role in the 1961 film adaptation of West Side Story. Moreno, who was an executive producer and appears as Valentina in the 2021 version of West Side Story, tearfully cheered for DeBose from the audience as she accepted her award. In her acceptance speech, DeBose emotionally exclaims to Moreno, “I’m so grateful your Anita paved the way for tons of Anitas like me. And I love you so much.”

Ariana DeBose finished her speech by discussing how she found her “strength in life through art,” and encouraged others who may be struggling with their identity: “So to anybody who’s ever questioned your identity ever, ever, ever or you find yourself living in the gray spaces, I promise you this: There is indeed a place for us.”

2. will smith hits Chris Rock on stage

If you were watching the show live like me, you were probably frantically scrolling through Twitter trying to figure out what just happened when the sound cut out and all we saw was Will Smith saying “Keep my wife’s name out your f**king mouth.” In probably one of the most shocking moments of live television I’ve ever seen, Will Smith ran up on the Oscars stage and slapped Chris Rock across the face.

The assault was in response to a joke Rock made about Smith’s wife, Jada Pinkett Smith. “Jada, I love you, G.I. Jane 2, can’t wait to see it,” Rock quipped, making light of Jada’s shaved head, which unbeknownst to him, is due to a medical condition called alopecia.

While Will Smith seemed to laugh at first, he soon jumped up on the stage and hit Chris Rock. The entire stadium went silent as the audience tried to figure out if this was all part of the show or happening in real-time. While people are still debating whether this turn of events was scripted, I think that the profanity used and the emotions on display indicate this incident was authentic— and all the more dramatic. 

3. amy schumer, regina hall, and wanda sykes kept everyone on their toes

This year’s Academy Awards also brought the return of hosts— a tradition that has been missing from the past three ceremonies. In fact, this was the first time in Oscars’ history that three women have hosted the show— a reality that Amy Schumer made light of in her opening monologue: “This year, the academy hired three women to host because it’s cheaper than hiring one man.”

Comedians Amy Schumer, Regina Hall, and Wanda Sykes did a phenomenal job as hosts, keeping the atmosphere light (as best as they could given the circumstances). They kept everyone on their toes with their comedic attacks on nearly all nominees— no one was safe. Some of my favorite jokes from the hosts’ opening monologue include:

• “After years of Hollywood ignoring women’s stories, this year we finally got a movie about the incredible Williams sisters’… dad.” -Amy Schumer
  • “Leonardo DiCaprio, what can I even say about him? He’s done so much to fight climate change and leave behind a cleaner, greener planet for his girlfriends.” -Amy Schumer
  • “And for you people in Florida, we’re going to have a gay night” [calling out Florida’s “Don’t Say Gay” law] -Wanda Sykes

4. dune makes a surprise sweep

Dune, Denis Villeneuve’s sci-fi adaptation starring Timothée Chalamet, swept most of the pre-show awards and took home six gold trophies overall on the night. The film was nominated for 10 Academy Awards and won Best Sound, Film Editing, Original Score, Production Design, Best Cinematography, and Best Visual Effects.

This makes Dune the second of the most successful sci-fi movies at the Oscars, as it is now tied with 2015’s Mad Max: Fury Road with six wins.

5. amy schumer takes the unexpected drama in stride

After what is now being dubbed ‘The Slap Heard Around the World,’ the vibes at the Dolby Theatre were noticeably tense. Like any great comedian, host Amy Schumer knew just what to do to lighten the mood: “I’ve been getting out of that Spider-Man costume. Did I miss anything?” Schumer sarcastically asked the crowd, “There’s like, a different vibe in here…”

Just like that, Schumer was able to ease some of the tension in the room and get the show back on track.

6. will smith makes a remorseful and incredibly awkward acceptance speech

Moments after slapping Chris Rock on stage, Will Smith, ironically, won the award for Actor in a Leading Role for his portrayal of Richard Williams in King Richard. With the audience still reeling from the drama of the assault, nobody was quite sure what to expect from Smith’s acceptance speech.

“Richard Williams was a fierce defender of his family,” Smith began— maybe not the best opening line, considering the circumstances, to compare yourself to Richard Williams and in doing so attempt to justify your violent actions in a public setting. Smith went on to speak of God and his purpose in life: “I am being called on in my life to love people and to protect people.” He became teary-eyed and clearly emotional, as could be expected, and eventually apologized to the Academy and his fellow nominees— but not Chris Rock.

“Art imitates life, I look like the crazy father, just like they said about Richard Williams. But love will make you do crazy things.” Will Smith is a talented actor who certainly deserves an Academy Award— but this moment was unfortunately tainted by his actions earlier in the night.

7. white men can’t jump, juno, The Godfather, and Pulp fiction casts reunite

During this year’s show, several casts were reunited to celebrate the anniversaries of their films. Early in the evening, to celebrate the 30th anniversary of White Men Can’t Jump, Woody Harrelson, Rosie Perez, and Wesley Snipes were brought together again on the stage to present the award for Best Cinematography. This was shortly followed by Elliot Page, Jennifer Garner, and J.K. Simmons of the 2007 Oscar-nominated film Juno, who presented the award for Best Original Screenplay.

Legends Francis Ford Coppola, Al Pacino, and Robert DeNiro were also reunited to celebrate the 50th anniversary of The Godfather. Finally, Uma Thurman, Samuel L. Jackson, and John Travolta of Pulp Fiction presented the award for Best Actor in a Leading Role, and even did the movie’s iconic dance on stage. 

8. megan thee stallion adds a verse to “we don’t talk about bruno”

Encanto, the heartwarming film that took home the award for Best Animated Feature, got its own spotlight in the ceremony as the cast sang the hit song, “We Don’t Talk About Bruno” with special guest stars Becky G and Luis Fonsi. However, audience members received a pleasant surprise when Megan Thee Stallion, decked out in a gorgeous golden gown, jumped in to join the song with her own Oscars-themed rap verse.

“On Hollywood’s biggest night, best in all of cinema / Magic everywhere, stars everywhere / I need to see Oscar, Zendaya over there / Oh, no we got three hoes / These women are the best and they’re killin’ all the jokes…” Megan rapped. 

Megan’s performance of the Encanto song also marked the first female rap performance in Oscar history.

9. regina hall’s bit about covid testing

One of the jokes by the comedic hosts may have been taken too far. Claiming that some COVID test results got lost, Regina Hall called some attendees onstage for emergency testing. Hall brought Bradley Cooper, Timothée Chalamet, Simu Liu, and more on stage for a “test,” claiming she needed to “swab the back of your mouth with my tongue,” and even going as far as to frisk presenters Josh Brolin and Jason Mamoa. 

While some found Hall’s joke incredibly funny by taking the depressing context of COVID and making it into something comical, others found it deeply offensive and inappropriate.

10. Troy Kotsur makes history and sweeps the award season

Troy Kotsur was another winner who made Oscars history, becoming the second deaf performer in history to win an Academy Award for acting— second to his CODA co-star Marlee Matlin, who won in 1987. For his role as Frank Rossi in CODA, Kotsur has swept awards season, collecting a SAG award, an Independent Spirit Award, a Critics’ Choice Award, a BAFTA Award, and now an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. 

In a moving and heartfelt acceptance speech, Kotsur made a beautiful tribute to his father: “Dad, I learned so much from you. I’ll always love you. You are my hero.”

11. jessica chastain wins best actress— and pays tribute to tammy faye

If you watched The Eyes of Tammy Faye, it’s likely no surprise to you that Jessica Chastain won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her role as Tammy Faye. In her acceptance speech, Chastain took the opportunity to honor Tammy Faye Bakker Messner’s legacy and support issues close to her own heart. 

“In times like this, I think of Tammy, and I’m inspired by her radical acts of love,” Chastain shared. “I’m inspired by her compassion, and I see it as a guiding principle that leads us forward. And it connects us all and the desire to be accepted for who we are, accepted for who we love, and to live a life without the fear of violence or terror.”

12. Lady Gaga supports Liza Minnelli

Lady Gaga and Liza Minnelli, two legends in their own right, were brought out to present the final award of the night: Best Picture. The 76-year-old Minnelli, who is celebrating the 50th anniversary of Cabaret for which she won an Oscar for Best Actress, held Gaga’s hand as they spoke. As Minnelli struggled to read her lines, Gaga lovingly and comfortingly leaned over to Minnelli’s ear and whispered, “I got you.” Liza Minelli responded by saying, “I know.” This beautiful moment of empathy and compassion between two living legends was a beautiful gesture in the midst of a night filled with chaos and tension. 

13. coda wins best picture

Finally, the most anticipated award of the night, Best Picture, went to CODA, a heartfelt coming-of-age film about a Child of Deaf Adults (CODA) who wants to pursue music. This is yet another historic win for the low-budget, independent film, but more importantly, it is a win for inclusivity. CODA has been praised for its portrayal of a deaf family— without a focus on stereotypical deaf storylines— and its casting of deaf actors. Oscar-winning films of the past have been criticized for casting able-bodied actors in roles for characters with disabilities. CODA does just the opposite, with a focus on inclusivity and opportunity.

As Troy Kotsur said in his acceptance speech for Best Supporting Actor, “this is dedicated to the deaf community, the CODA community, and the disabled community. This is our moment.” 

Seeing the entire room sign the word for “applause” in ASL to congratulate the CODA cast and crew was a beautiful sight, and a heartwarming way to end a very eventful night. The 94th Academy Awards is one we certainly won’t forget.

Molly was the 2022-2023 President and Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus UConn after serving as Treasurer, Vice President, and a Contributing Writer. She graduated in May 2023 with a Bachelor of Arts in Communication with English and Political Science minors. You can find her at https://www.molly-mcguigan.com