Sex and the Campus: Sex and Tell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

We’ve all must have heard the saying, ‘I don’t kiss and tell’, but is the same true for sex? When your friends want details about your sex life, how much do you disclose? Is ‘I don’t have sex and tell’ the appropriate response?

Regardless of how your friends feel, you do not owe them anything when it comes to your sex life. It is your comfort level that will allow you to decide how much you are willing to disclose or not. If you want to give every detail down to what kind of sounds you made, I am sure your friends will stop you when they’ve heard enough.

Don’t be afraid to tell someone to buzz off. It is a good idea to talk about sex, to make sure you are happy and healthy but those conversations need to happen with your partner. It is great if you have the support of your friends and they look out for you but they don’t get a play by play after you’ve had sex, unless you want them to.

Appropriate may not be the right word when it comes to ‘I don’t have sex and tell’ but if that is right for you then it works. There is no right or wrong answer here. You respond however you wish, with as little or as much information as necessary.

If you are looking for pointers or don’t understand something that happened you should be able to trust your friends with this information. Don’t be afraid to turn to them for help with your sex life. Sex is not a taboo topic, so let’s talk about it. I would encourage everyone to become comfortable so that we can form a dialogue around having sex.

I also encourage you to share how much was too much that you ever disclosed or heard about from a friend. Also, how comfortable are you with talking about sex. Please leave comments in the section below!