This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Conn chapter.

It’s the beginning of the semester and stress is definitely on the rise for students here at UConn. There are many different methods people try to use to combat stress, however, more often than not, people forget to keep up with one of the most important forms of care for both physical and mental health: self care. Self care is different for everyone! For some, it’s doing eye masks, face masks, and taking a warm bath with a well-lit candle. For others, it’s cuddling up in a blanket with a cup of tea and watching a cozy movie. Regardless of how people practice self care, it is an essential part of overall well-being. Here are some self-care practices you should try to help lower your stress and show yourself some love. 

1. Face & Eye Masks! Face and eye masks are not only so healthy for your skin; they make your face feel so refreshed, rejuvinated, and clean. After a long day of doing stressful assignments and preparing for exams, it is necessary to get ahead of the acne and take care of your skin. Look well and feel well after a long day. 
  2. Take a hot bath! There’s honestly no better feeling than soaking in a hot bath with a scented candle on the side. A personal favorite is the coconut milk honey candle; it sets the perfect mood for pure relaxation and a clear mind. 
  3. Mosturize your skin! Don’t forget to moisturize and hydrate your skin after the bath and face masks! Go beyond just your face, put lotion on your legs and feet too for a true self care experience. 
  4. Yoga! Yoga is an amazing way to take time and reflect on your mental state and your physical state. You are able to clear your mind and focus on the present. Focusing on your breath and body is the ultimate form of self care. Taking time to allow your body to guide itself and recuperate releases endorphins, which in turn, promotes a better mood and higher levels of motivation. 
  5. Snuggle up with a cup of tea and watch a movie! Tea is such a relaxing warm drink, and it’s absolutely perfect for the fall time. There’s something about it that just takes every bit of stress away and gives such a calming feel. Turn the lights down, find a quiet space (preferably your bed or a comfy couch) and turn on your favorite feel-good movie. 

These are only a few forms of self care practices that can help lower stress and allow you to show yourself some affection. Be sure to try some of these out, you deserve some extra love!

Hi! I'm Lilly, and I am a senior communications major at the University of Connecticut.